Aulonocara ethylwynnae

</DIV><H1>Aulonocara ethylwynnae</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: junek</STRONG><BR><BR>hi all,

<br>

had my first St George Aquariums experience today - that place is amazing!!! i'm used to about 4 or 5 tanks of cichlids at the LFS, no a whole room!!!

<br>

<br>

so i couldn't leave without buying something - and it ended up being a young colony of Aulonocara ethylwynnae. 1m and 4f for 50bucks... thought that was a pretty good price for a nice looking fish.

<br>

anyway, the male is just beginning to colour up and he looks great.

<br>

<br>

i was just wondering if anyone has any info on these fish - good foods, tips on breeding and general maintance etc....

<br>

i did a search on the web and found nothing, but if anyone has found a good site (even a bad one!) please tell me

<br>

<br>

thanks for any info...

<br>

jamie

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>They are a hot fish! I keep a colony also.

<br>

<br>

They are typical Aulonocara so any info in relation to food and environment that applies to Aulonocara will be accurate for them.

<br>

Cichlids_au

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Jamie

<br>

<br>

Regarding your Aulonacara

<br>

They require nothing more than any other of the Aulnoacara species good filtration and maintenance

<br>

Water 7.5-8.3ph 100-300ppm carbonate hardness (if you measure it)

<br>

temp 22-28*C try for 25*C

<br>

I prefer a sand substrate as they like to dig in nature being invert feeders (that why the receptor pits on their heads)

<br>

feed them a good quality flake and/or pellet with additional treats like brine shrimp, mozzie wrigglers, live blackworms, frozen bloodworms and vegies like zuchini and pumpkin

<br>

Give them structure like caves and a raised platform for spawning and security when they just want to be out of sight

<br>

Keep ONE species per tank

<br>

and most important ...... enjoy

<br>

<br>

L2H

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Jamie,

<br>

<br>

I'm glad you like the shop and my beautiful A. ethelwynnae! I bred those ones from excellent imported adults and they're showing great promise of colouring up like their dad.

<br>

<br>

I am a great fan of the species because of its deeper sapphire-blue and contrasting large egg spots. It is a very easy species to breed, just make sure your water conditions are acceptable (in accordance with L2H's advice) and when they are of size, the females will produce large, regular broods for you.

<br>

<br>

The adult females were good parents, taking the fry full-term. I was milking an average of one batch per week in their prime!!

<br>

<br>

Again, I'm glad you had a good time and I look forward to updates of their breeding progress.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Willy wombat</STRONG><BR><BR>Link To Hell,

<br>

<br>

Great advice on the peacocks there champ. I thought your last point was particularly good. Enjoy them...

<br>

<br>

Willy

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: junek</STRONG><BR><BR>thanks for all the info guys... very helpful.

<br>

<br>

Andrew, you shop is inspiring. i was beginning to lose interest in cichlids because i could only ever find the very common forms in the shops around here. one trip to the shop and i'm hooked. i never knew so many cichlids were even available! I would love to come down an saterday, but is is one and a half hours drive and i have no more tank space (i know i would have to buy something!), but i'm sure you will see me in the not too distant future

<br>

also it's good to hear my fish came from good stock!!!

<br>

<br>

one quick question: the Aulonocara ethylwynnae i picked up are just at the age of colouring up, prob about 2in or so... my Question is , when will they begin to breed as they are in a tank with E. blue and i don't want them to cross. i will be moving the E. blue in about 6 to 8 weeks... i think i'll be safe with the cross breeding but i just thought i'd ask the pros (thats you

)

<br>

<br>

cheers again,

<br>

jamie

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Jamie,

<br>

<br>

Thanks for that compliment! Thanks also for taking the time to drive all that way. My sole aim in this industry is to renew and maintain people's interest in these remarkable fish. You don't have to buy something when you come for a visit - if you're out of cash / tankspace, just treat it like a trip to the zoo.

<br>

<br>

Those ethelwynnae are not far from a breedable size, maybe a couple of months or so... I have seen peacocks cross with Electric Blues, but that's usually in situations where they don't have their own kind to breed with. Still, it's much better to err on the side of caution and separate them.

<br>

<br>

Hope this helps, and always feel free to ask advice at any time.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Sash84</STRONG><BR><BR>g'day andrew,

<br>

<br>

will aulonocara peacocks cross breed with E. yellows???

<br>

<br>

eg. there are one colony of say 8 aulonocara peacock and another colony of 8 E. yellows in 4ft tank, will there be any possibility of cross breading???

<br>

<br>

<br>

-Sash

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Sash,

<br>

<br>

I sincerely doubt that they would crossbreed, because they are from two different groups of Cichlid and they both have opposite sexes of their own kind to breed with. Theoretically, it is possible, but highly unlikely. At the shop, we have had Electric Yellows and A. jacobfreibergi "Otter Point" breeding in the same tank for two years without incident.

<br>

<br>

HTH,

<br>

Andrew.

Archived