Aqua One Cannister

Chuckmeister

Thanks for the feedback 5uka.

I dont understand eheim. this filter has similar capacity for media in litres, pumps out more lph and is reliable for 234 dollars compared to a 2260 that comes in at over 600 dollars with no media. I mean your basically paying eheim 600 dollars for a pump. Add in another 100 or 2 for media.

Hey Chuck, i also run one of these, super quiet and only 32W, big water turnover also. great value for the money and yes fill it with marine pure and sponges with some noodles under the bottom sponge.

I'm interested in this as I'm in the process of setting up a 6 x 2 x 2.5 and a sump isn't viable for now so I'm looking to try and find an FX5 or FX6 at a good price but these aqua one units look too good to be true at that price so how would people compare the two?

As a side note it will be for wc Tropheus so I want the filter to bullet proof as I can make it...

looks like good value but will it still be going strong in five, ten or even twenty years from now?

ive used a bunch of different brands of canisters over the years including aqua one and none of them stack up to the quality of eheim.

I had an eheim canister that was literally about 20 years old and was still going strong. All my canisters are eheim now.

in my experience, you are better off spending a little more on the initial cost of your filters and they will last you a lot longer and will be less likely to leak or fail.

Just my opinion

Thanks for the feedback 5uka.

I dont understand eheim. this filter has similar capacity for media in litres, pumps out more lph and is reliable for 234 dollars compared to a 2260 that comes in at over 600 dollars with no media. I mean your basically paying eheim 600 dollars for a pump. Add in another 100 or 2 for media.

I recall reading that Eheim doesn't measure their LPH in the same way that other manufacturers do but I can't recall the details, possibly along the lines of Eheim measuring with a media filled filter whereas most measure with an empty filter.

Mattzilla good point. I would agree if Aqua one was a new product but they have been around for a while now and I believe solved previous issues on manufacturing products.

In short they are an improved manufacturer.

I just bought one for a looksy...will do a short review on it when I get it. The numbers on it were too good to not try.

Hopefully they will end up being a reliable filter though I gotta say I cant recall ever having a failure on a cannister. *touch wood*

Thanks again guys.

I've been running a nautilus 1100 non stop for nearly 2 years and can't fault it so far. Still pumps like a champ and quiet as a mouse, I loaded it with heaps of extra media too and can't complain keeps my tank spotless. Mind you I only have a med sized pair of Gts and do 70-80% water changes weekly, oh yea I rarely clean the impeller too allthough that probably not recomended.

I can see how they could sell these for 500 dollars if they stack these beside a 2260. the cheapest I could find was 680 dollars for an empty canister.

Gotta say Eheim have always been a good filter for me but their business model of crazy inflated prices is a little old imo. There are always people that like brand though. I can be a bit of a brand snob at times but not when you have such a glaring comparison. I mean you can get 3 of these canisters for the price of one 2260 including basic media to get you running.

edit - was looking at prices of a 2217 on a cheap online store and I cant even get a 217 with media for under 275 dollars.

Archived