power outage delima

Donny Brasco

Ok so all my fish are at one of my factory's i have 9 tanks, 1 is an 8ft, 1 is a little 100lt jebo in the office and 7 other 4ft breeder/grow out tanks.

All the 4ft breeders run on sponge filters from a big air pump and the 8ft has an fx5 and a nautlius 2700.

i got a letter in the mail to say that on Sunday there is a scheduled electricity mains shut down as they are doing work on the lines or something between 9am and 5pm.

Im worried that with that length of time with no filters or heaters running that there health could be at risk.
What do people think i should do short of forking out for a generator and rigging up a bunch of extension leads what is another good way to assure the health of my fish for that potential 8hour period...

I should have added that normally saturdays is my tank cleaning/water change day i was thinking maybe make it sunday this week instead that way im changing the water and stiring everything up a bit but my concern then is im going to be putting cold water into a tank thats already slowly cooling down and the heaters wont be doing anything for another 3-4 hours so yeah think i might have to bite the bullet and go hire a generator from kennards or something.
Do you think it will be fine to run the generator for say 3-4 hours, say if the power goes out at 9am i set up the generator at 11am and have it everything running, do the water changes be done by about 3pm and shut it off and go home assuming the power will kick back on at 5, or you think be down there as early as possible and ride the whole thing out?

If it was me.

Water changes as normal on Saturday.

Sunday get generator going early. Air only. Heat shouldn't be a problem during the day - & will catch up again later on normal power.

Assume it will go beyond 5pm so don't plan to be out of there to early.

Be prepared to do extra/emergency water changes Sunday night or Monday morning. Based on visual queues/behavior.

thanks for the advice ducksta, i think im going to do it like this.

Friday arvo water normal water changes

saturday day off

sunday morning 9-10am start up the generator
leave it running all day turn it off around 4-5pm and go home
monday morning check everything over maybe check water parameters and if needed do another small water change monday

It happened to me before. The electricity company/contractor that did the job lent me a generator to use for the day.

It's a small one so could not power all filters n heaters.

Main thing is to keep the filters going.

I'd stop feeding from Friday. Do your wc on Saturday. Run a generator on Sunday morning like you planned. Depending on the size, they last for a few hours before refueling.

Hope it'll work well for you.

hi mate

i had similar situation

what i did was

i got a power inverter mine was only 150w

i used a car battery and power inverter to run my lp 100 for hours.

so you can use your car or even just a fully charged car battery.

Buy the invertor from bunnings not expensive

dont worry about heaters

just make sure air is pumping...

best and easiest.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=power%20inverter&redirectFrom=Any

if you get bigger power inverter you can run a heap more but air pump most important.

always good to have one anyway 600w is best even when you go camping anything like that very handy

cheers

I'm with LithoMan on power outages with my setup, although I have been lucky with the longest timeframe being 6 hours. I camp in some remote places and as such have 200 watt solar and 2 100 amp hour AGM batteries in the back of the car with a 2500 watt pure sine invertor with 2 240 outlets. Only a cheap setup off eBay but works well and has powered filters and air in both 6x2x2 and 8x3x2 setups when needed.

I know they have stated that it will be shut down for that long, but from experience it rarely is.

Get enough power to run the filters. Fish will cope with the heat loss, I doubt it would be much on the big tanks.

If you lived closer I have a battery back-up system and six 100amp hour battery's here that has run my room for three days before. No heat, but an ehiem bucket filter and a hp60 air lower worked fine.

A friend of mine works at Kennard and is bringing me one of his generators to run. I'm going to head to the shop around 9 or 10 and wait for the power to go out and when it does I'll fire the generator up. Wait until it comes on and turn it off again.

You reckon it will be fine to run an fx5 as well?

Archived