Aquamunch

Buccal

Buccal I will look into the stuff from fishwerx. I can honestly say I haven't used aquamunch on adult africans. Due to the regulations under what I am doing now there are very few africans I am able to breed. I know some breeders up here use it and like it and others don't like it. I am a big believer in a mixed diet no matter what the fish.

Even though aquamunch is made overseas it was developed by an Australian breeder. He is currently working on a new line of gel foods. Which I have been trialling. He no longer has aquamunch tho, he sold it too someone else who has introduced the colour advance range. I actually feed the red to my cherry shrimp and guppies that have red in their colouration. I personally have nothing to do with the company at all.

The tech den has a great brine shrimp crumble too. Hey fisho new era is a great food which I never hestate to use love the soft pellet in all honesty there are a lot of great foods on the market nowaday. But really once you start going big setups whether you like it or not it comes down to dollars. Producing a high quality fish in numbers is not easy no matter which way you go.

It has been refreshing to discuuss this without the usual slanging match. Thank you

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malrift, yes good no slinging match.

The fish you breed are actually a lot more challenging to breed than plain old rifties, so delicate and temperamental compared to riftlake tough fry.

Was that breeder Nigel by any chance ??,,, he had solar vacs on his roof for breed room heating.

I've tried aquamunch on many occasions, but never entirely happy but keep giving it a go again,,, great price.

Believe it or not I was the sales rep in Perth for New-Era, but I couldn't keep going as the Perth scene for sales alone was to low to stock all the goods and have fluent stock fresh turnover.

New-Era is a exceptional premium food and works a treat on all aspects,,,, but as you said malrift, in massive bulk amounts it comes down to the dollars.

40 or more tanks is getting up there,,, but less than 40 tanks, there's no excuse not to use premium foods. :)

Yeah it was Nigel. Highly regarded up here awesome quality fish too.

I still use new era but mix it with other food types and brands to spread the cost out.

I would love to give hatchet fish and bleeding heart tetras a go. But rummy nose are next on the list. I enjoy the challenge. Even though I work to put out more gread and butter varieties I still like the challenge of the harder varieties. It keeps the interest going and takes away the boredom of day in day out.

Really tho for the money aquamunch has filled some of the spot. But if you are still in contact with Nigel ask him about his gel food. It is made from human grade ingredients with no fillers. He made up a different variety that I am trialling which contains earth worms. If the way my fish arevreacting to it now is anything to go by it is going to be a great food. They had their first feed 2 days ago. I am anxious to see their spawning cycles in a months time.

Display only, I have the giant bleeding hearts,, they aren't the pastel, milky, musk pink ones,,,,, but they are the sharp crystal red ones with black fins with pure white tips and edgings.

There are a few foods over seas that specifically use earthworm (high protein) for improved breeding.

A product in oz already named tropical has earthworm chips/crumble.

Most fish from the amazon from rays to tetra/characins and even some Asian rivers adore worms and is quite natural for them seasonly.

Earthworm is a fast delivering protein type,,, good for stingray pups to.

Havnt been in contact with Nigel for quite some time now, he may not remember me as we lost contact when he started importing.

He was actually going to ship a large solar vac unit from China for me, but I decided not to go that way.

I really need fast food I can feed though,,, 130 tanks 200+ grow tubs and a outside 20000 liter 65 compartment growout heated,,,,,, so 2.5 hours to feed and that's going flat out without checking for holding females and recording.

Pellets and flake I need to keep up,,, as I'm a carpenter full time in a flat out building industry.

Pellets and flake for mbuna to large predators without changing foods around to much.

Simple and easy for me not to mention organization,,,,, now I just need to be happy with cheap safe food :).

Yeah, I'm trying the aquaholics new ranges now/recently.

I've tried all techdens foods but the proteins come from poultry sources.

I tried googling thommo22 flake and can't find anything on it,,, never heard of it.......

Ok cool, cheers, I'll check it out.

I forgot to mention I'm waiting in the post to try algae/spira disks also $175 for 16kg 5mm.

Might try chucking some in kitchen blender to turn into a crumble so I can administer it to the fish better to.

Just checked thommo food,,, looks good, but the price is still up there.

I order 20kg at a time and go through it pretty quick,,,, so thats $900 for 20kg.

Would be good as a premium food, but I'm already happy with sera-flora for $95 odd,,, getting 2kg,,, using bit in each tank as premium.

I use otohime hirame for predator species mixed with a bit sera-flora.

As I said before otohime hirame for fry I use also.

Considering otohime is a super premium aquaculture food it's extremely digestible and clean,,,, 20kg is $400 odd,,, not bad.

So just leaves me with economic food to find for vegetarians and omnivores to share the same food.

To be honest, I've been searching for god knows how many years,,,, I review every 8 months or so for something new.

Requested an ingredient list on a couple of products and got just the nutrition breakdown - % proteins, fats, fibre, etc which is already what is published on all his photos.
I see a lot of "tankbuster" keepers on facebook are using and are very happy with the food.
But I haven't found out what is in it.

Yeah nice find,,, but the pellets seem quite rich to me,,, there seems to be no vegetable content besides the wafers.

Usually (but not always), as the vegetable content is added/increased, the fibre shows as higher up and past 3.5%.

I might try a few sample packs maybe. Cheers.

3 wheats AND

Dehulled Soybean Meal

Distillers Dried Grains with Soluables

I'm not going to try and sell anyone on one brand being the be all and end all of fish foods, but that indicates a very high % of not particularly nutritious ingredient.

Buy better food - feed less of it.

Fish don't need to "feel full" or be fat.

This food here being spoken of isn't in Australia anyway I dont think.

they are here in oz... i got a few small sample packs :) thats why i asked

Oh, I haven't seen it around searching online....

As Ducksta said it has the 3x wheat ingredients, but they may be to give it body or binding characteristics,, even though being at the beginning of the ingredient list, it may not be that bad.

It does at least have spirulina around the middle of ingredient order.

When I decide to try a cheap food I always feel a bit safer with I higher fibre percentage.

But if this food isn't much different in cost to our leading 3 or so brands, then I can't see much to gain from this new food any more than what we already have.

But no harm in trying I guess,,, a good aquarist can tell by subtle behavior in his fish by the impact of trying new foods.

Post your findings and details on the food if you can..... Always interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

i have bought africans of a bloke who feeds this rubbish and found a lack of colour in them and deformities ,yellows where white and blues had a lot of jaw deformities his breeding stock was purchased of a so called respected breeder/reseller on the sunshine coast so apparently there was nothing wrong the genetics of these fish .so i have to think it has something to do with this food .im not sure about the high krill claims either i have seen it advertised with claims about high quality european fish meal .anyway nls , sera and new era for me . crap in crap out

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using the colour advance in the tiny lil micro pellets size for everything from red cherry shrimp to blue acaras,elec blue acaras, P.Nyeris-some of the purest line still left in oz btw- to L-134s and chinese upsidedown cattys...red terrors and iceberg haps...they all love it and even the texas greens have deepened in colour-the acaras are a shade of blue hardly ever seen and my P.Nyeris are finally in a breeding cycle im happy with. Im yet to find a fish that doesnt love the garlicy scent and as its such a tiny pellet it digests better in less time for min waste- at first i thought blocked up fish too so started feeding spirilina micro wafers and flake-a known immune booster for various reasons and a good easy digestable food- and when it was able to be seen in the diff colour of waste just how much of each food actually ends up as waste. Its looking like about 60% of the aquamunch is being used so only around 40% of whats fed is left as waste-it differs on species as veggie eaters with longer gut tracts convert more of the food to usable nutrients-some are using 80% or close to it of the aquamunch compared to 65% of the hikari algle wafers.

Theres an aussie company ive found online selling 1kg bags of what looks loke high quality spirilina wafers for under $10 a bag-has anyone got any thoughts or comments on this food?

You could give aquagreen.com.au a go they sell native foods im not sure on the exact content but you could contact Dave and ask him. It comes in different size pellets and a crumble. I think its about $14 a Kg. I dont work for him i just know that it must be quality. I use the crumble as it works for lots of different sized fish.

All of my rainbows are fed it and they griw very well as well as my endlers and now my cichlids they all show great colour and breed regularly.

Ive been using the colour advance in the tiny lil micro pellets size for everything from red cherry shrimp to blue acaras,elec blue acaras, P.Nyeris-some of the purest line still left in oz btw- to L-134s and chinese upsidedown cattys...red terrors and iceberg haps...they all love it and even the texas greens have deepened in colour-the acaras are a shade of blue hardly ever seen and my P.Nyeris are finally in a breeding cycle im happy with. Im yet to find a fish that doesnt love the garlicy scent and as its such a tiny pellet it digests better in less time for min waste- at first i thought blocked up fish too so started feeding spirilina micro wafers and flake-a known immune booster for various reasons and a good easy digestable food- and when it was able to be seen in the diff colour of waste just how much of each food actually ends up as waste. Its looking like about 60% of the aquamunch is being used so only around 40% of whats fed is left as waste-it differs on species as veggie eaters with longer gut tracts convert more of the food to usable nutrients-some are using 80% or close to it of the aquamunch compared to 65% of the hikari algle wafers.

Theres an aussie company ive found online selling 1kg bags of what looks loke high quality spirilina wafers for under $10 a bag-has anyone got any thoughts or comments on this food?

I feed these wafers to my display fish,,, heaps of mbuna,, predators and omnivores in there,,,,, 25% of their diet is the ozzy made wafers.

What I'd really like for my breeding stock,,, is to try the spiralina/algae, not in wafer form, but in the crumble version,, this way it could be administered to most of small fish without feeding to much.

Does anyone know of spiralina/algae crumble ???? I've searched hard and can't find it.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd mention.

Needed some food last week and didn't have time to visit Labyrinth.

Ordered some aqua munch on ebay.

So far I'm finding it fouls/colors the water quite badly. I'm not prepared to write it off completely just yet but first impression is not good.

I'm using the 3mm cichlid pellet.

Yeah mate,, I've really given the aquamunch a good go,,,, and I'm afraid to say it just ain't much chop.

Occasional bloat, fish become a little inactive, long term shows color loss, some random deaths (maybe melamine)

All in all, just can't find any good points except its price.

I'm a flat out sera-flora man now,, and feed otohime hirame sparingly.

Sera-flora goes a lot further than it seems,, three buckets last me a month.

Considering I use to go through 4.5 buckets of spectrum in a month.

And since heavy use of sera-flora,, the sump and everything in general has a whole lot less fecial waiste as the fishes waiste tends to break down easier and faster.

Now that sera-flora can be obtained for $100 a bucket,,, it's a god send.

Sera-Flora is a great food. But not appropriate for my eating/pooping machines.

I'm not (any longer) brand loyal. I jump around on whatever reasonable food I can get at a good price at the time.
And I've supplemented the big guys diet with dirt cheap koi pellets for long periods and noticed no real problems.

But my water is looking awful (no smell at least) - From maybe 4 feeds of AM over the last 8-10 days, including a 50% change on the weekend.
Pretty disappointing. At least it's cheap enough that it wont hurt too much to toss it out.

Archived