Maintenance: Cleaning glass

Lepperfish

I just use a kitchen-cleaner-thing with warm soapy water, and then dry it off with a good chamois (not that crap in a yellow tube)

Seems to work well.

The best way i've found to test for smudgy areas is with a Digital Camera !

Use the flash in a way that reflects off the glass, and if i spot a smeary bit (in the resultant photo on the LCD), i try the chamois, but occasionally it doesnt work, so i then try a Glasses-cleaner (probably not much help if you dont wear glasses)

Although i do have one water dribble on a tank, and it's been there for ages, and nothing i try seems to get it of.... I'd like to hear ways of getting off the real stubborn ones.

HTH.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy, is it a white calcium deposit sort of mark. If so try a razor blade. Another thing that is worth a go (but I havent tried it). I work in the automotive industry and the detailers I used to work with would use a very fine grade steel wool to clean stubborn marks on windscreens. It didnt scratch the windscreen so it might be a go on tanks as well. (but be careful blink.gif )

inside I just use the algae magnet, elbow grease sorts out the calcium stain above the waterline.

Outside I use windex. Spray it on paper towel/chux in the kitchen & wipe the glass in the lounge/fishroom. no windex in the air to kill the fishies that way.

I thought chemicals, especially car cleaning ones would be a bit no no..

No reason not to use 'em !

Just don't get them in the water ohmy.gifwink.gif

I don't use cleaning sprays though, a bit too dangerous IMO.

Andy smile.gif

Not dangerous if sprayed in a completely different room wink.gif

Yeah I know, just re-emphasising my point tongue.gif

Outside I use windex. Spray it on paper towel/chux in the kitchen & wipe the glass in the lounge/fishroom. no windex in the air to kill the fishies that way.

Archived