Zebra Obliquiden or Crimson Tide?

AUSCichlidBreeder

I keep getting mixed information about these guys, can anyone here clear it up?

I have been told the scienctific name is Astatotilapia latifasciata but wiki says Haplochromis latifasciatus.

Info:

http://www.cichlid-f...atifasciata.php

Info wiki

http://en.wikipedia....ia_latifasciata

Photo from wiki (My photo varies from the one on wiki)

http://en.wikipedia....atifasciata.png

Critically EndangeredIUCN Link: http://www.iucnredli.../details/2195/0

zebraobliquiden2ssmalli.png

Hi Mate

I have been told the scienctific name is Astatotilapia latifasciata This is correct

The trade name we have adopted here in Sydney Australia is Crimson Tide

But elsewhere overseas I have seen the fish refered to Zebra Obliquiden

Overseas there is a fish that has the trade name Crimson tide which is the rock kribensis from lake vic

Hope that helps

Cheers

Craig

hi mate this is a definite Astatotilapia latifasciata known as Crimson Tide

Here in Australia it is know by this name, but in the states it is a totally different Fish...

Here is mine:

After getting into a fight with my Blue

img0184m.jpg

The real "Crimson Tide" is a completely different fish. It is described by Ole Seehausen in his work, "Lake Victoria Rock Cichlids". "Zebra Obliquidens" is the more correct trade name for A. latifasciata. For the life of me, I have never been able to work out why it ended up being called "Crimson Tide" in Australia. In my opinion, this is incorrect and misleading. It's another reason why I stick to scientific names - it staves off this sort of confusion.

Good on you for raising the question here. I've been itching to say that for ages...lol

Cheers,

Andrew.

Yes after talking with Skullz from cichlid-forum it is a Zebra Obliquiden.

Crimson Tide is a much darker looking fish and completly different.

Although as you have stated in Australia most LFS sell them as Crimson Tides and have no idea what a Zebra Obliquiden is. Interent says they are very common in aquariums but are endangered in the wild. I have never seen any Zebra Obliquidens in any fish shops that I don't supply too. I obtained mine from a good friend who is also a breeder.

Weird hey!

Yes, ever since the Nile Perch was introduced to Lake Victoria, many species have been driven to extinction. Some species, though, have been intelligent enough to adapt to the perches' habits and survive, even beginning to increase in number when they find spots the perch can't get to. Life really does find a way, huh?

I believe there are some surviving populations of A latifasciata in satellite lakes around Victoria, but the population in Lake Vic itself is now extinct.

This is one species we don't want to lose - either to lack of interest - or hybridisation. Fortunately, the true "Crimson Tide" isn't in Australia - because if it was, it would almost certainly end up crossing with A. latifasciata.

I have been told the scienctific name is Astatotilapia latifasciata but wiki says Haplochromis latifasciatus.

My guess is like much of the Haps in Lake Malawi this fella from Lake Kyoga or Lake Nawampasa was mistakenly grouped with the "Haplochromis" and thus the wiki giving you the incorrect information.

I would say at some stage it was indeed "Haplochromis latifasciatus" but was corrected at some point. Is it called a HAP like the ones in Lake Malawi thou? I am unsure.

But yeah .. just a stuffup at some point put it in the wrong group would be my call.

My guess is like much of the Haps in Lake Malawi this fella from Lake Kyoga or Lake Nawampasa was mistakenly grouped with the "Haplochromis" and thus the wiki giving you the incorrect information.

I would say at some stage it was indeed "Haplochromis latifasciatus" but was corrected at some point. Is it called a HAP like the ones in Lake Malawi thou? I am unsure.

But yeah .. just a stuffup at some point put it in the wrong group would be my call.

So Astatotilapia latifasciata it is its from from Lake Kyoga or Lake Nawampasa.

Can someone please post a pic of a real crimson tide? As the ones I have seen look similar to Astatotilapia latifasciata but darker.

Ok after a few days of research.... alot of forum browsing it is confirmed as a;

Haplochromis latifasciatus

Many sources refer to it by the invalid scientific name Astatotilapia latifasciata and may also be seen for sale as Haplochromis sp. "zebra obliquidens" or H. obliquidens. Sadly it's thought that the latter fish has never even been exported and is extinct in nature. Furthermore, H. obliquidens is a Victorian species and does not even inhabit the same lake as Haplochromis latifasciatus.

wow that took some work!

Yeah I saw that artical on it saying its an incorrect name for it. But I don;t think he did enough research on that artical.

If you get your hands on one of the books listed at the bottom of the artical below it might prove wether this fella is correct in saying the other way around.

http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Alatifasciata_article.htm

Systematics. The genus Astatotilapia was described by Pellegrin (1903) and modified by Greenwood (1979, 1980). This genus provisionally includes riverine Haplochromines from East Africa and possibly some Lake Victorian species (See Seehausen 1996 for discussion). This species was described as Haplochromis latifasciatus (Regan 1929) and later ascribed to the genus Astatotilapia (Note the change in species name to match the gender of the genus). This species name should be considered conditional and may change with future research. This species is also frequently listed as Haplochromis "zebra obliquidens".

Anytime just PM me, if there are any more of those 3ft tanks going around I would be keen as.

My Current Brood, though most of these have already sold. Only around 10/15 left from this batch, but thats all good cause I have 3 more on the way, in various stages hahaha and guess what.... all three females are knocked up again... damn I can't figure out why these are endangered they breed with me like rabits.

zebraobliquidensbabies.png

He had a heap of the 3 footers prob 15 or so, he pulled them out of some store. There is a bunch of fishshop type metal stands, but I think only good for like a garage type setup, which is a bit beyond me right now.

They look like good quality, although no lids.

Nice looking fish there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived