native timber

Flycaster

When it comes to timber I think most are ok.

Personally myself though, I wouldn't use any woods (timber) that are high in oil content and I certainly wouldn't use blue gum or any varient from the Eucalyptus complex.

I am not sure your fish will enjoy Eucalyptus oils leaching into their nice clean water.

Mally roots have always been my favourite especially the big gnarly bits with attitude.

I dont know alot about different timbers... hopefully someone else can help you out.

Cheers, I was wondering if I got a nice dry piece of dead eucalyptus if there would be much oil left to leach out. Or maybe a bit that's been in the creek for a bit?

All I've got readily available are gum, native cherry and silver wattle... Not sure what mally is or even if it is found in tas :-) Cheers

lol definitely no Mallee scrub in TAS

so long as the timber is seasoned = dried and or soaked if you

are collecting wild caught timber :happy:

I would also remove any bark that was left on it

there are some gnarly things in the high country that get battered

by wind, rain and snow

you could also use grape vine if any of the vineyards are pruning

but you would need to season it

Thanks yeah there are quite a few lakes I had in mind to have a look at when I'm next up there, although I do have plenty of grape vines so I might get into those. Maybe I can get a few seasoning so I've a few to choose from

I've used River Red Gum before that I grabbed from a river. The wood was old and had been soaking in there for a while so all the tanin and oil has leached out.

You just have to think about what other nasties might be in the water if you collect from creeks etc. - chemicals etc. give everything another good soak before adding them to you aquarium.

Archived