Fry tank going green!

LexyBoi

Hey guys now not many of you know but I am breeding German ngara flametails and well my fry tank has some problems, now my tank water keep going green I do a big 50%+ water change but wishing 2 days the water is green again, I clean the filter and do frequent water changes ph is around 7.5-8.5 and temp is 23c.https://vimeo.com/127596306

As you can see my breeder tank is clear always but my fry is green! Please help! I'll have to check the other stuff sometime this week, at the LFS, by the way I'm in Perth!

Welcome to ACE Forums Lexyboi.

I suspect that it a lighting issue. At first I was going the ask how long you leave the aqaurium on each day but then I noticed what I believe is a window beside the tank. The additional sunlight particularly if the window is facing west and the aquarium is in direct sunlight may be the cause of your problem.

The algae is suspend in the water column giving the green colour.

Welcome to ACE Forums Lexyboi.

I suspect that it a lighting issue. At first I was going the ask how long you leave the aqaurium on each day but then I noticed what I believe is a window beside the tank. The additional sunlight particularly if the window is facing west and the aquarium is in direct sunlight may be the cause of your problem.

The algae is suspend in the water column giving the green colour.

I might get some tinted plastic paper and wrap it around the light make it dimmer, would that be good I'll also turn the light off earlier!

I know this is a long shot but are you using bore water by any chance?

It sounds like your water supply could be high in nuitrients. Your not overfeeding your fish?

Not sure what filtration you are using but carbon can help fine filter particles as well as suck up excess water toxins.

A UV sterilizer will kill algae.

Personally I'd clean the filter (in aquarium water), give the substrate a vacuum (if you have any) and feed lightly for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

I know this is a long shot but are you using bore water by any chance?

It sounds like your water supply could be high in nuitrients. Your not overfeeding your fish?

Not sure what filtration you are using but carbon can help fine filter particles as well as suck up excess water toxins.

A UV sterilizer will kill algae.

Personally I'd clean the filter (in aquarium water), give the substrate a vacuum (if you have any) and feed lightly for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

Not using bore water, might be feeding little too much!

Not that good filtration it is built in, I have an all pet care Aqua 64 litre tank! We have carbon I'll use some but with the uv can I get like a very small 20cm light or not?

I did clean the filter in aquarium water and I'll keep the light off for 2 days.

64 litres is a very small tank and its not hard to overfeed in a tank that small.

Filtration is always one of the most important things you have in a tank and can cause alot of issues if your pushing the limits of the filter.

Maybe suggest to dad that you might need an small additional internal power filter for that tank...or try washing his car and bribing him :p

You can also maybe try cutting down your daily feeding in either size or maybe every second day and see if you see a change.

You could also look through the Do it yourself section here and maybe find something you can make that will help in a small tank.

I used to have 40 fry tanks going with ice cream filters, margerine filters, anything plastic and square filters in my day lol

They are not pretty but incredibly effective.

Highly recommended if you have a little air pump lying around. I actually looked on the site here for a link and found alot of the articles gone :bye:

Anyway I think you have the idea now Lexi !

I used to have 40 fry tanks going with ice cream filters, margerine filters, anything plastic and square filters in my day lol

They are not pretty but incredibly effective.

Highly recommended if you have a little air pump lying around. I actually looked on the site here for a link and found alot of the articles gone :bye:

Anyway I think you have the idea now Lexi !

It's just Lex!!!!!

Archived