Frontosa mooning

krellious

Hey guys.

I have the chance to buy some f1 ikolas however they have mooning. it is not desireable i know but i am wondering if anyone has bred fish with this and how the fry turned out. Seems weird to me that a 'f1' fish has this when it is ment to be caused by inbreeding or poor breeding stock.

Cheers

Mooning has been observed in the wild and whilst collectors try and avoid capturing fish that display mooning they still do.

The issue as I see it is that people don't like fish that display mooning or even fry that come from parents that have mooning. You may find it difficult to overcome this prejudice just as some people will avoid buy fish with crooked or split bars.

yeah I thought that was the case. right price for the fish but am turned off just enough to not buy them. sucks but hey get what I pay for right. 5ft tank with a solo bn male needs more fish

I would say ask for a cheap price, reason mooning of course, and breed a bit of it doesn't work then sell the fry cheaper and sell the colony for cheep , basically if you are willing too loose some money (not much $$$) and loose a bit of time I say go for it, I would try to keep the fry that have little to no visible mooning and grow them up to breed instead, but fully up to you, I am younger so probably just listen to Ged. [emoji16]

As Ged mentioned just leave them. We have a hard enough time breeding good quality fish that are not legally importable let alone the ones that are. Fronnies take 4 years to get to breeding age only to have poor quality fry I would be disappointed. Especially if the fish blending laws are enforced you won't see to many frontosa imported @ $300 each if 75% need to become smoothies.

Cheers

Rosco

With my Burundi colony I had one female that had a little mooning on one side. The male and others didn't. They mostly bred fish without mooning but even the ones with solid bars sometimes had mooning.

I would like to know if there is any relationship between mooning and stripping females early ( calm down Rosco, I'm talking about fish) in the mouth brooding phase.

With my Burundi colony I had one female that had a little mooning on one side. The male and others didn't. They mostly bred fish without mooning but even the ones with solid bars sometimes had mooning.

I would like to know if there is any relationship between mooning and stripping females early ( calm down Rosco, I'm talking about fish) in the mouth brooding phase.

Lol you make me laugh Bruce lol.

Cheers

Rosco

Archived