breeding calvus

raychill

After months of trying our black calvus have finally spawned. We removed the shell with the female inside and put it in a separate tank where the eggs hatched. Just after some advice on when we should remove the female and what is the best food to start feeding the fry on.

Cheers

Calvus mums can be a bit of a pain when its time to put her back in her original tank.

When I was breeding them I had a couple of good mums that used to jam themselves hard into the shell.

Basically I did one of 2 things. If I could catch mum out of the shell fast enough and block the shell entrance (sometimes you have to be sneaky) or I would try and flush mum out of the shell into a small tub (like a chinese container).

Mum usually comes out after a few gentle flushes. Place mum back in her tank (and the shell into your fry tank)

I used to have a similar shell that I would place back in but make sure that its similar size and sitting back in the same position as the old one so mum feels comfortable again. If you have had to coax her out of her shell she can be quite stressed.

I used to wait about a week or so after I see small clouds of fry swimming inside the shell.

You will need to feed your fry microworms...someone on the forum should be able to help with a starter culture or get (fry food) or grind up some high quality high protein food like spectrum.

You can also make your own brine shrimp though personally myself I dont see them as being nutritionally as good as microworms. Just my opinion!

Be careful not to overfeed as they are really small and I'd also recommend an air filter or a DIY ice cream filter (which is what I used to use)

Good luck on your first spawn :)

Archived