Plecos and cuckoo cats in an malawi tank

Hi Guys,

Could I please ask your thoughts on adding a couple of Plecos and Cuckoo cats to my tank.

I have read mixed reviews and I am after a some more experienced opinions before I go ahead and buy the fish. My PH is around 8.2. Are there any cats more suited than others?

Thanks

Peter

Well the Cuckoo are native to the Lake Tanganyika so the PH is not a problem for them. They will attempt to eat your Cichlid eggs and replace them with there own.
As to the Bristle and Plecostomus I have 5 of the first and 1 of the second in my tank, but I got them before I took my PH that high. So they have weeks to get used to it.

Can no comment any more than that as I'm only 6 months in to keeping African Cichlid's

Both should be perfectly fine in your tank with malawi's. If you are lucky, one day you will look into your tanks and see kittens!!

I would be careful not to raise your PH any more as pleco's usually like a PH closer to 7.5 or even a little softer.

Personally I'd try and bring my PH down to around 8 if you are going to house a pleco. Neither the multi's nor the Africans will complain with an 8 PH reading.

Pleco's are generally pretty adaptive to most water conditions though just watch them the first few weeks.

Archived