UV Units

<H1>UV Units</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bijengum</STRONG><BR><BR>Does anyone have any experience with using UV sterilisation. What are the pros and cons. Does it work. Does it have any effect on algae.

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: exiledonmainstreet</STRONG><BR><BR>I have used them in fresh and salt water tanks for many years. They help immensely with controlling Ich, and it's been my experience that they also help control some algae's. My water is pristine, and my fish at their happiest when I run them. They are pretty expensive, but if you can afford them, I highly recommend using them. Good luck.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wui39</STRONG><BR><BR>UV units are good...i've used it on my pond helps keep it slightly clearer....many people say that they don't like using htem in fish tanks as it weakens the fish immune system because they never have to fend against any disease.........I'm not sure how much i agree with that but to each their own....ppl often use them in a central filtration system...but since i have filtration in each tank (i keep different things in every tank, different water conditions) i've never had a need for it

<br>

<br>

<br>

Wui-Kiat

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: yevrah</STRONG><BR><BR>Cons: Can't be used when cycling a tank, shouldn't be used for raising fry (prevents healthy development of imune system)

<br>

<br>

Pros: Excellent in planted tanks because it reduces algae significantly, almost al fish parasites have a mobile aquatic stage in their development so can help wipe out diseases from the tank.

<br>

<br>

All in all, i use them in my planted aquarium but that's about it. Too expensive. Also, they are best run for 3 days on, 4 days off (or when introducing new fish that you cant be bothered quarenteing). They shouldnt be switched on and off with your lights as this can reduce the bulb effectiveness very quickly.

<br>

<br>

Best,

<br>

Harvey

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Adam Maskew</STRONG><BR><BR>One other thing to remember is that you need to filter the water to at least 100um prior to the UV filter to increase its effectiveness. UV can only de-nature organisms that get an effective dose, if there are particles in the water the effectiveness of the UV is minimised.

<br>

<br>

Its best to leave your UV light on all the time, and re will need to replace the light tube/bulb every 6-12 months.

<br>

<br>

Adam

<br>

</DIV>

Archived