Red snook tank mates

Flycaster

Can anyone recommend good tank mates for red snook? They're 5/6 inches ish at the moment.

Apart from the usual silver dollars which don't do much for me, and the plec/ cat fish that are in there already...

Any other tank mates worth growing on with them... 6x2x2 initially.

Cheers

What kind of tankmates are you after? More cichlids? Or something to school up?

Oscar
Peacock bass
"Green"/"Normal" snook...

TInfoil barbs
Leporinus (would have to start big, since they are super slender when smaller)

I am not really fussy... Just something interesting and won't cause too much aggro.

I thought about an Oscar but get concerned about their reputation, I do like them though.

Peacock bass... I like

I think the chances of getting tinfoil barbs is pretty slim in tassie...

The leporinus looks interesting what are they like to keep?

Would a Jack Dempsey etc or other CA cichlids be too aggressive? Probably depends on individual fish I guess..

Leporinus can be a bit nippy but are otherwise ok. Best in a small group I think. Certainly shouldn't bully the snook. But they are long and skinny so might start to look appealing one day...

There is a breeder turning out p bass down in tassy (on here his name is domresvanis) but you might have to be prepared to pay for some that already have some size. I've seen some great pbass + red snook set ups. (Generally thought the bass are considered the focus, and the snook the after thought)

I think oscars reputation stems from early years before cichlids were really understood, and kept in poor conditions (same story as JDs) but that is not to say you wont get the odd psycho. They really do have individual personalities. Oscars can tend to be worse with other oscars.

Ok, thanks for that. I'll maybe have a crack with an Oscar as I know my little girl likes them. I know the guy who breeds peacock bass but getting one that isn't snack size is nearly impossible.

They're currently in with 4 monos but I have read that as monos get larger they need progressively saltier so I will be looking to replace them shortly with something else :)

Archived