Return Pumps/s + Water Jets, 4ft Tank 2.5ft Sump Setup Recommendation?

btck91

Hi everyone,

I am asking for opinions on what return pump you lads use in their sump filtration system. I have a 4ft tank with 2.5ft sump. I would like to have strong filtration perhaps double of what I need as I intend to have around 12-15 Peacocks inside.

I am new to sumps and would like to see what people recommend. Also what should the flow rate be for my tank per hours. My tank is 250L and sump is 150L. I would like to cycle it up to 5-6 times an hour??

My other community tank is a 150L with a Ehiem 2217 which from the specification should filter my tank 4.75 times an hour. This is just what I am comparing to.

Please let me know your past experience/knowledge! and correct me if need be.

Cheers

I have a 5000lph Eheim compact on a 6' x 18"W x 24"D tank, sump is roughly 3' x 16"... flow rate is very good, filtration is excellent, the tank is very clear, crystal in fact. The pump is rather noisey though, a low frequency hum which penetrates the walls, vibration is quite bad, bad enough that I will replace the pump when I find some extra cash.

Ehiem pumps as really bad for that, I purchased one and as you say the whole house vibrated.

Can I suggest that your look at fish-street.com and buy a Jebao DCT pump, just buy two as they have had an issue in the past, they seem to have fixed these issues. You will get two for cheaper than the Ehiem.

These are very quite and because they are DC there is no 50 Hz hum.

Cheers

Something that most people haven't thought, which I use,,,,, in your case a pondmax 3000L/H.

It's a pond pump and over all size is very large.

Unscrew the casing of the outside which stops leaves and junk entering pump in a pond situation.

Good head height and relatively low wattage.

You can use the larger diameter hose that it runs best with,,, this will stop the loud splashing sound of a small diameter tube ejecting water rapidly.

They go forever in a tank situation.

I agree with Buccal, head hight and wattage are what I look for...brand to a certain extent and tank turnover to a certain extent.

I often see people talking about liter turn over campared to tanks size. personally I dont agree that more turnover equals better fltration.

I always go by the pump turning over at least two or Three times an hour (total volume) but your much better off having a good design and filtration media in your sump as thats actually whats doing the work.

I'd be happy with something like this in a small sump

I agree with Buccal, head hight and wattage are what I look for...brand to a certain extent and tank turnover to a certain extent.

I often see people talking about liter turn over campared to tanks size. personally I dont agree that more turnover equals better fltration.

I always go by the pump turning over at least two or Three times an hour (total volume) but your much better off having a good design and filtration media in your sump as thats actually whats doing the work.

I'd be happy with something like this in a small sump

"people over zealous with literage turnover to tank". So true,, to have two to three times per hour is best as it gives the water better contact time and allows the beneficaial bacteria to operate at optimum with the good choice of filter media,,, it's not good having water pass to fast.

If the actual turnover in tank is wanted, then simply add a power head or better still a wave maker (extremely low wattage) to tank.

Archived