Red jewel eggs

CichlidChick77

Hi everyone,

My red jewels decided they like each other and I have now got a whole heap of eggs. The eggs are on one of the ornaments so I took them out of the main tank without the parents.

Today is day 2 and there are a whole bunch of white ones in amongst the fertilized ones. The fertilized ones now have tails but the white ones are going a bit fuzzy and I'm worried they may contaminate the good ones.

Any suggestions or info? I've only ever had mouth brooders so this is new for me.

Thanks in advance,

CC :)

should of left the ornament and eggs in with the parents.ull only need to remove the male just before the eggs hatch.sometimes the female will move all the eggs to a spot somewhere in the tank

Metholene blue added to the water when you first move them slows the fungusing

now get a length of airline and cut it at an angle so you can scrap and syphon the infertile eggs off the spawn site

other than that just leave them to hatch and the ones that are stronger and not near the infertile fungused ones will be fine

don't feed them until they absorb the yolk sac in a few days

finely crush some flake and then just get a pinch and rub between your fingers in the tank to make it a paste

EXCELLENT

welcome the world of substrate spawners

just wait till the egg sac is absorbed before trying to feed them

first few weeks you can make a paste from crushed flake, buy Liquifry

or if you have green water add some to their container

in a few weeks you can increase food size to live foods like microworms

or vinegar eels if you have any or just use crushed flake, ground pellets

or a commercial fry food

a mature sponge filter is really good as they can pick particles from it

Archived