Larger Tanganyikan Predators...

goldenswimmers

Im a bit of a larger predator guy and like both the larger Malawi(Hap's) and Tanganyikan(Lepidio's) predators...I have been able to source most of the haps(C.Caeruleus,C.Spilos,T.Nigriventer,A.Christyi) but it seems the larger Tanganyikan guys are a lot harder to source....I have especially been interested in Lepidiolamprologus Elongatus...have found some kendalli so operation:"big bad tang" has begun :) but yes it seems the elongatus are another kettle of fish :) curious to hear from others who are interested in these larger guys and especially interested to hear from those who have dealt with some of the large tanganyikan guys and if you are aware of any L.Elongatus then we definitely need to talk :)

Lepidiolamprologus Elongatus

lelongatus2_zpscd8d6211.jpg

f-tc62_zpsf3003ecd.jpg

im a big fan of Malawi predators but i also never even thought about Tang predators as i knew boulengerochromis microlepis are on the noxious species list and didnt both researching other

. they are great looking fish. will be very interested to see if they are available.

its QLDAF's goldenswimmers ( i think ) WELCOME!

anyway, im keen on these big blokes too, yet to get some though

I wonder wether they would cause trouble having a pair in a Cypho colony?

How big to those fellas get?

These guys(Lepidiolamprologus Elongatus aka the guys in the pics :))get about 30cm so nice size....seems they are around but hard to find and numbers are shrinking... :(

hey cooder yep same goldenswimmers :spaz:

“People found possessing or selling live noxious fish face fines up to $5,500 for an individual or $11,000 for a corporation.”

straight off the the Department of Primary Industries website.

i would be careful saying

My mate has a boulengerochromis microlepis
, i have heard of people dobbing others in to the department from comments made on forums like this.

Sorry for the mistake.From what he told me he lost it long time ago.. :( he had 4 some years ago and he end up with 1 ..as they grow more than 35cm they start to kill each other :( :( :( but i still have some old photos.. :no:

Can we see the photos?

I reckon we should get onto AQUIS... put away some monjees together and make a court case!!!!

good idea.. not...

unfortunately there is no way we will win that one. i think we just have to be grateful for what we can get in to the country and import as much as possible before they cut more species from the allowable import list.

I keep L.elongatus. I used to have several pairs and spawned them regularly. I lost a lot of my fish in a heat wave a few years ago, including my adult elongatus. I had sold a few fry to a lfs, i think someone purchased them spawned them and sold them back to the lfs. I grabbed the last few they had left which i have grown up and hope to put together soon.

My biggest drama with breeding these guys was, after you get a pair to spawn and the fry have hatched, the female becomes very aggressive to the larger male. The male only takes the abuse for so long before turning on the female. I would always remove the parents to separate tanks after spawning and once the female had put condition on re-introduce them for the next spawn.

The only pair i didn't have to do this with was one which the female lost any eye while young. They would spawn and i would just remove the fry once they were free swimming. I always assumed it was because she couldnt see the male so didn't harass him.

These guys look nice, but when they have their dark breeding dress on with the green/white pearl scales shining down the sides, damn a very nice fish

• 2 years later...

Ok rise zombie thread. :spaz: ..im going to keep this thread pumping because Im keen to know whats going on with the larger Lepidiolamprologus varieties and how the hobby looks with these guys as a lot are real rare/hard to find...does anyone know of cunningtoni or profundicola?(seems these guys were up at an auction in 2005!) and have been mentioned/rumoured to be here...

Kendalli38.jpg

Ok have been able to get some more kendalli sent to me so lets see if 3rd times the charm..

0 from 1st attempt,

1 separated pr that did bond at one stage from my 2nd effort

(who I now house separately but will try again with caution to get going!)

and now this time I will use all my gained experience to try and get these new guys into some sort of workable and hopefully breeding situation!!

And heres a few snaps of my new attenuatus(big thanks to Wayne for these guys n gals!)

DSCN0462_zpsompxonzf.jpg

DSCN0645_zpslhly6tik.jpg

DSCN0641_zpsk1rgogqz.jpg

didn't think it would be long as she was looking in condition :drunk:

I find Mysis shrimp is a great healthy bulk up food for the girls when getting ready for spawning and this is what I used on these guys too..

Ha ha :no: Im just the carer..they do the work!...and Ive just set up some Kendali...putting my love/hate pr(death is always on the cards and I have had them split for the last few months)with an extra new Kendali to see if this can strengthen their very fragile bond ..I have them in with a bunch of Spilos(for an extra large sized dither fish... :huh: have to say it seems hardly a dither fish when the 2 dominant boys in the group are colouring up and also sparring off...its like a colosseum in this tank!)..so if the Kendali can spawn for me...I might go platinum.. :thumbup: ha ha

Archived