What did you do to your aquariums today?

Ant

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is nothing special but if out works It will gold out and I may make one out of pvc. It is just a couple of 19mm black elbows, a t-piece, a valve and 19mm snap on hose adaptor. The theory is I can drain and fill 2 tanks at a time. It is "prototype" for now to see what goes wrong at first. Eventually I would like to do one side at a time, there had to be a better way than I am doing now.

Cheers

Rosco

Replaced a 10,000k bulb with a 6,7000k in the large rainbow tank, as well as adding some more plants. I feel like this is the 1st time ive had a good lighting set up for a planted tank so I'm hoping to have some good results!

Cleaned out 6 x 2260's today

1000ltr water change.....didnt need doing i was bored, lol

Stripped 2 female fiery fry for 34 fry and 5 kasanga for 47 fry

Beers i lost count :drunk:

That ex cyclone caused more flooding in my local area than the big floods of 2010, in less than 2 days and a night.... The one day i could get to the LFS and its bloody shut, whats their excuse? they arent flooded out, yet....

Oh and skipped WC yesterday... considering there is really low stocking and its all still pristine....

Pretty Bored actually.....

After averting a potential disaster last night with a heap of water coming thru my roof thru the light and heating vents centimetres on front of my TV and Pvr I thought I might be a good idea to move the lounge room around to get the TV and electrical equipment away from the danger areas in my house my windows. but this involves moving both of my display tanks.one is a 4x2x2 and one is a 6x2x2. Today I moved the 4x2 the whole lounge around including my computer.

I emptied it and its contents, a colony of red fined kadangos, a colony of Msobo, some excess display males, 5 cuckoo cats and a 25+ cm silver shark. So the fish went into 4 separate tanks in my fish room for now until I transfer all the fish from my 6x2 into the newly emptied 4x2 until I can get 4 burly lads, or 8 fish nerds (i reckon it a 2 to1 ratio for fish nets to strong men lol) over to help me move it.

I am now sitting down having a beer dreading phase 2 of this brain snap lol. Although I will take this opportunity to finish the tank off properly and put a universal background and a sump on the tank.

Cheers

Rosco

Damn Rosco that's a big job, not something you wanna do too often I bet!

Where are u located? We are in for it tonight in the Illawarra, I'm not at all looking forward to the wind being in a pole home!

Well....you know when a simple water change turns into a frenzy of cleaning and tidying what ever else.

1. I decided I wasn't happy with the aquscape and took all my rocks out (I have a lot of rocks for a small tank).

2. So I figured, while the rocks are out I'd give the gravel a really good vac.

3. I noticed several mphanga fry in crevices and put them in a fry saver.

4. I then had a good look at my fry tank and decided, 1/3 were big enough to sell.

5. I called my LFS and they were keen. So I caught 25 fry and decided I'd try sell one of my larger male mphanga to de-agro the tank a little.

6. Took them to the LFS and got a good amount of $$ for them. But they only offered $15 for the larger male. Which I didn't accept.

7. While at the shop I got a T5 globe finally so I can run the reflector I was given by a friend.

8. Went home, installed globe. Way better!

9. Decided to catch the 4 Brichardi and put them in the fry tank cause I really want them to breed and they are definite agro instigators. (Don't worry fry are big enough to not be threatened).

10. Finally, I Finished scaping, cleaned lids and tidied up :).

Took from 9:00 to 5:00.

Good fun!

1/3 water change on the 6 foot mbuna tank. Then this evening i shut down my 3 foot tank which has been running for a few years now, all of the inhabitants got transfered into my new 4 foot tank

Its the end of an era for me, that was my first ever cichlid tank.

Its funny how our minds can get lost when we are messing about with fishie stuff. still waiting on a suitable day for when i can get lost in my LFS for a night or two.... hmm, maybe i could move in?

Anyone know whether play sand is a buffer? i took as much out of my latest apisto tank as the pH was too high, i tested some of the sand with vinegar to see if it would fizz up and tell me whether it has calcium in it, and it didnt fizz so i dont get it lol, i have aquasoil which buffers the water down, plants and driftwood, and a few un calcium based rocks, The water i use is for this tank come out at 6.0 so i cant figure it out lol. its rain water in a poly tank...

Play sand id silica. Wont buffer at all. I dare say the calcium based rocks would be doing it.

Ok good,

The water is rainwater out of a small poly tank, so do you think it could be going up after sitting for 24 hours or something?

The FIRST time i put it in the tank with the silica sand, wood and rocks it was 6.0, next day was 7.8... all the rocks are out now, so ill see how it goes over the next day or so....

1. i started setting up a few planted tanks today to keep a few of the rarer varients of shrimp in as they have caught my attention lately (why i don't know)

2. i have replaced my tahitian moon sand in my 6x2x2 with white sand for my new colony of xenotilapia bathyphilius kekese

3. i stripped down my 4x2x2 so i could catch the cyprochromis leptosoma kekese blue flash fry that were swimming around

4. moved my xenotilapia flavipinnis nyzac lac to there new home and noticed 1 was holding

thats all i think lol

I was adjusting the scaping in my tropheus Dubosi tank today as I wasn't happy with it only had them a week and I discovered that the 2 smallest females were holding. Quite happy with that. Then it was on to the usual water changes and stripping of my other colonies and removing my L and bn fry into fry savers.

Rescaped and cleaned the sand and did 50% water change ready for a colony of cyps coming on thursday. excuse the sponge, im seeding it for a fry tank.

DSC_0346_zpsb86c925a.jpg

What do you think? Im also planning on adding a small colony of ochrogenys to this tank aswell, but will remove the rocks on the far right and left to give them some sand room....

Looking good dude, I'm sure the cyps will love it! I to am seeding a sponge for a fry tank at the moment, in the hopes that the rams will go for round 2. I did a water change in the tang tank today, and added some plants to the big rainbow tank. I am having a 3rd go at rotala wallichi, this will be the 3rd and final attempt, if it doesn't grow this time I give up.

Archived