egg bound

yowie05

hi there we think that we have a female that is egg bound she has been very fat for ages and will not spawn just wondering what the symptoms are and how to get the female unbound she is not constipated as she poops her scales are laying flat any help appreciated

thanks people

iain

Hi iain,

I know what you mean, and I know many other people will too, no need to edit your post.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions but someone here will. Where's Anita when you need her. Fiona maybe able to help. :B

I had an eggbound L. ocellatus who unfortunately died. The main risk is of the eggs decomposing inside her body. Preventative antibacterial medication is often recommended. Don't try to squeeze her body. If they don't start to decompose she may eventually resorb them. All the information I got about it, I got from the web, have a good search and you may find what you want. Ducksta had an eggbound salvini, not sure how that turned out, he may be able to share his experince with you. What species is she? Is she looking bloated? There is a definite bloated look to an eggbound fish. Is she eating?

Hi,

What type of fish is she and is she in a tank where there are corresponding males of the same species? I agree with Fiona (about the administration of antibacterial medication) - unfortunately, however, they often die anyway.

I used epsom salts in a desperate measure to save a red forest jewel once (I know that this seems to help clear the alimentary canal and didn't know if it would work on an egg bound fish). Either by sheer coincidence or dumb luck, it worked. Maybe this will help you.

In any case I guess it's probably better to try something because they usually do die from this. :wub

merjo

Hi all,

I believe i have a female angel with the same problem. She is in a tank with a male and they have spawned 3 times before but always cleaned the eggs up after a few days.

They have not spawned now for a long time and the female is very bloated and she seems to have trouble staying upright. She swims ok and is eating but when just relaxing she is always facing towards the top of the tank.

It seems some reliable info on this problem may benefit quite a few of us :wub

Someone please help us

Gary

Not much to say really, if they are eating you can try antibacterial meds in the food to try to prevent septicaemia from the eggs decomposing internally, and wait to see if she resorbs them. Keep her quiet and don't let other fish hassle her. I believe my ocie became egg bound because I'd moved her and I think she didn't feel safe laying them where she was. You might think if there has been an environmental factor and if there has that might be a clue to preventing it in future. Hopefully your fish will survive, they can, but many (most?) do die.

Archived