Ultra Violet Sterilisers?

Cichlabxr

Do you use them and if so which brand?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

Just wondered who uses UV's on their cichlid tanks/set-ups?

Also interested in which brand you use and how you rate them. i.e. Effectiveness,Reliability, Value for money.

If your brand isn't listed could you add a reply naming it. thumb.gif

Thank you

Martin

I use them on all my Tropheus setups. Aquapro fully internal. No problems after about 8 months except for the suction cups. These are a problem on all items though.

Also interested in which brand you use and how you rate them. i.e. Effectiveness,Reliability, Value for money.

How do you acertain effectiveness? Do some sort of bacterial culture on your return water? Me thinks most will say effective via placebo

I use them on all my tanks and would never go back to without!

They can be used without a filter and make the water crystal clear!

Amonia is never a problem if you water change regularly.

I use the hang ons from Aqua pro, both 11w and 18w... thumbup.gif

There is an airline one thats currently available and very good indeed! thumb.gif

How do you acertain effectiveness? Do some sort of bacterial culture on your return water? Me thinks most will say effective via placebo

Effectiveness could be "I use to have fish dying in my tanks, now with the UV they are not dying and there have been no other regime changes"

Surely seeing a UV clear pond water that is green is not a placebo unless your mind can now alter water clarity and colour.

but killing water borne algae & water borne bacteria are totally different kettles of fish.

I have seen the wonders of a UV on "green water", but in a tank that was crystal clear & healthy without the UV or setup with one from day dot - how do you really know it's having an impact?

edit: Basically I want to hear someone say...

I have a sump system of X tanks with a total of Y litres with the return filtered by a Z watt UV steriliser.  I bought a new fish via freight from a hobbiest & it got whitespot during the trip.  I put it in tank Q on the system & the whitespot didn't spread to other tanks, I would assume due to the UV

You need more watts to kill the little nastys than green water too - how do you match the flow rate to watts required?

Here are some articles:

Wikipedia's entry on ultraviolet

or this one discussing it effectiveness in waste water treatment:

EPA report

Yes flow rate has to be matched to light output but I'm not sure how algae differs from bacteria when UV rays attack the basic building blocks of DNA.

P.S. A quick check on google will tell you that the amount of energy/cm required to kill bacteria in most cases is less than algae. Though Protozoa and Fungi will require more energy/cm than algae or bacteria.

Ahh, awesome! I don't doubt the effictiveness of UV one bit, all I'm questioning is whether people are using it correctly (ie: enough watts for a given situation)

217 views only 26 Votes. A bit disappointing. i also realised after I should have had 2 polls (what a wally) as you can't vote yes and then add a brand. Oh well wub.gif

Seems 12 out of 26 use them. Good enough for me. Thanks to all who voted.

Martin

I viewed before voting blush.gif

For what it's worth, I'm going through the same decision as you at the moment.

Leaning towards getting it as the tank will (unfortunately) cop a fair bit of sunlight and just for the peace of mind that i'm doing the most to kill any waterborn nasties.

Hi Jon,

Yes I'm definitely going to get one or two. I haven't lost any fish for awhile to "unknown" causes. My water regime and filtration are more than adequate but I also have a problem with sunlight and algae. I thought if I'm going to buy one might as well make sure it kills the nasties as well. laugh.gif

Martin

Have you got a brand in mind yet? I have seen a newer Pondmaster version that has some special vortex flow that "exposes the water to longer to untraviolet light" and has similar pricing to the Aqua Pro units sold by AoA and looks better (who's reading a book by it's cover??).

Despite what people say, I think there is such a thing as too much choice! confused.gif

Back to the discussion Wui & I were having (I think we were arguing the same point with slightly different semantics BTW) how do you figure out what UV you need for a certian situation?

Is there a rule of thumb that states X watts at Y flowrate is effective?

There is an airline one thats currently available and very good indeed!

That would be an ozone generator wouldn't it? Its my understanding that exposing oxygen to uv light, OR a high voltage electrical arc (corona discharge) creates ozone. Of course ozone is a very effective sterilizer. Which gets me thinking if maybe an ozone generator would be a slightly more cost effective way of doing at least some or maybe even all of what the uv sterilizer is doing? By running ozonated air into the water for a certain period of time each day, depending on the size of the tank you are effectively doing much the same thing perhaps. Obviously you would want to keep the ozone bubbles away from your filter intake, just like your uv sterilizer outlet. Fortunately 03 is unstable and reverts back to 02 very quickly.

I know that ozone generators are used to control algae and microbes in cooling towers. So I am theorising thats all the UV sterilizer is doing.

Just my thoughts....

Cheers,

Jason

smile.gif

Hi Ash,

Yes there is have a read of this page.

UV Info

Jon could you please Pm me where you saw the newer Pondmaster.

Regards Martin

The required UV exposure rate to irradiate common bacteria is 15,000 µWs/cm2, while the required UV exposure for waterborne algae is 22,000 µWs/cm2.

Wow, I would have thought algae would be easier to kill, though thinking about it being a larger more complex organism of course it's harder than bacteria.

Great article Martin! thumb.gif

edit: just read the table at the end of the article, it puts Ich as needing really intense UV irradiation, about 12x the intensity to kill green water! So looks like my first instinct was correct after all.

Archived