Weirdest display tank in Chinese restaurant.

Josh

Hi all

I am currently down the coast on holidays and I came across the strangest display tank I have ever seen in my life.

We walk into and Chinese restaurant in Milton for lunch and as there usually is, I spot a tank near the front counter.

Typical marine set up I thinks, lots of live rock, skimmer hanging off the back, although it doesn't seem to be making bubbles. A good mixture of non tropical marine fish. Maybe 15 Sargent bakers, a heap of mudskippers and some other fish that look like the "blades" I use when I go fishing but plain silver with large eyes.

Then out of the rocks swims probably the most spectacular dragon blood peacock I have ever seen in the flesh, a large male Acei and a random zebra.

I am stunned how all these fish are living together. I so wanted to taste the water and see how fresh it was.

I am guessing the "marine" species are Brackish and have adapted to nearly fish water.

All fish appeared happy and healthy. I was totally stunning seeing them together.

I heard awhile ago, a certain "water conditioner", which makes the water "neutral" had to do with osmosis....I dont remember the exact details... but basically fresh and saltwater fish could live in the same tank...although I heard its not good for the long term, and dont think breeding is possible...It was a video I saw with clownfish, guppies, seahorses and goldfish all in the same tank...Might explain it...otherwise many saltwater fish can live in freshwater in short term...flathead, mullet, tailor and bream have been caught in freshwater...possibly the fish were acclimated...although I think sargant bakers would struggle lol

u will catch bream and flathead mullet in fresh water these three species do swim upstream espec in winter to find the shallow warmer water i have fished such areas kilometers up river away from the salt and caught these species even in the rain or after terrential rain when u get alot of fresh from the mountains coming down into the river ive caught these species perch and bass are the same.ull catch bream bass and mullet way up the hawkesbury in the fresh and audley weir has mullet in the drains swimming in the fresh tryn to leap up into the fresh coming out of the drain

The product is called "Gex Magical Water", if anyone is interested there is youtube video and forum discussion on the net...intangcity, your 100% correct, not alot people know how many of our native estuarine species head up into freshwater...Bass, Estuary Perch, Eels (short and long fin), Mullet, Bream (both black and yellowfin), Flathead, Tailor, Luderick, and Mono's all can survive in 100% freshwater and are staples of saltwater fishing!...I have even heard Leatherjacket will head into freshwater, although I would regard that story with caution lol...Also heard of carp being flushed out during heavy rains and caught in saltwater parts of estuary's, although they cannot survive long term in saltwater

Archived