Fry tank carnage !

oracle

I woke up this morning to find hundreds of dead calvus fry and 5 dead sumbu fry!!! The stupid filter had stopped running in the middle of the night and the water felt really warm while I was scooping out the dead fry. Arrgghhh!!!! mad.gif

I know how annoyed you might be. I had a fry tank full with leleupi fry around 100 and the heater overheated and boiled all the fry. A few weeks later another heater overheated and killed 2 breeding colonies of fairly new cichlids plus a few breeding bristlenose.

Roland

The worst thing is there was nothing I could do this morning as I had to rush to work. I can't believe I have spent 4 months+ trying to raise them only to lose them all in one bloody night!!!! Grrr.. sadsmiley02.gif

Not happy Jan!!

Oracle - what sort of filter was it? If there is a few hundred bucks worth of fry in the tank it might be worth upgrading your filter to a better quality one.

Of course if the powerboard, fuse or something else died this doesnt help sad.gif

It was an AquaClear 500.... sad.gif Not sure if it was the filter that was busted or if it's something else. I didn't have time to check thoroughly this morning as I was already running late. sad.gif It looks like it's going to be a busy night tonight - scooping out dead fish. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.. ohmy.gif

id be taking the filter back to where id bought it with a jar of vaseline and a mallet, probably wouldnt do any good but it would certanly make you feel better! the same thing happened to me a few months ago, at least youve still got the parents and lots of batches to come, the closest ive come to giving it away was a pair of clownfish with eggs and the tank cracked, i dont think there was a mallet big enough! better luck next time mate

Archived