Wasting and I (a possible cure?)

Its funny this topic has been revivied. I had an O Boops that I think was infected with wasting disease by one of my cyprochromis malasa so I tried the garlic method. I set up a hospital tank that is probably only 20L. I crushed 1/8 of a segment of garlic and put it in a bag in the water.

Next morning fish was stone dead. I assume I put in too much garlic! So if you are going to use this method be conservative on the amount you use.

Foai

Its funny this topic has been revivied.  I had an O Boops that I think was infected with wasting disease by one of my cyprochromis malasa so I tried the garlic method.  I set up a hospital tank that is probably only 20L.  I crushed 1/8 of a segment of garlic and put it in a bag in the water.

Next morning fish was stone dead.  I assume I put in too much garlic!  So if you are going to use this method be conservative on the amount you use.

Foai

I was asked to keep people posted, and I also just received a PM asking for help, so this is the reason this post has been revived.

I also tried the garlic method because the person who mentioned it claimed to have incredible results to the point of turning around fish that had gone so far down the road of wasting that it was deformed, and came back a healthy normal straight fish.

I noticed NO difference. I know garlic has some remedial properties, but I saw none of them on my fish that would back up this claim.

If anyone has a leptosoma species, please try the garlic method and let us know your results.

Craig

Found this on a USA forum...

Here's an update of what I've done to see if it will make a difference.

Last weekend I went to some LFS's that carry some quality cichlids, and came back with some Paragon II to dose the cyp tank with. This is a blend of Met, and few other anti-parasite drugs with an anti-biotic. I treated the tank over five days, really enjoying the yellowish-brown look to the water, almost like having a discus tank, and then did two 30% water changes. I did lose the cyp that I thought was going to be the first to die early on, but no others, and the survivors seem to be back into normal cyp behavior {voracious eating, and displaying}. I am also filtering the tank with carbon and Seachem Renew to remove any traces of the meds.

So far, so good; I'm hoping that this will stop the cyp attrition.

Andrea smile.gif

Damm it would be nice to finally cure this crap...

i have found that it affects any lepto or related fish, any sand sifter ( yes i have xenos disapearing! this really hurts) and neolamprologus fish also get it very fast.

so far i have lost all 13 of my malasas, but for 2 boys

and 27 kitumbas, but for the last two boys...

and various neolamps have also died of it, leleupi, trets, beueschi, sexies, i did fix up a few trets with metro, ivermectin, and some worm tablets, not sure which it was that fixed but they ended up getting nice and plump again......6 weekes later she jumped out!..tried a similar tretment to a few sick leptos.....they are just a tad more sensitive i guess...

i have also noticed that fish with it have very crumbly poo, might be the sand, but it is definetly not the same as similar fish in similar tanks, not dark tubes so to speak, more like lighter and a falls apart as it leaves the fish.... dntknw.gif

I was also informed by a well know aquarium shop that wasting is caused by a bacteria after the fish has eaten rotting food, which leads to the organs shutting down. Has anyone else heard this?

That sounds like a load of rubbish.

Firstly, if a fish hasn’t learned/evolved over the millions of years it has taken to get to this point in time, to know it can’t eat something that is not good for it, it wouldn’t be here.

Also, fish are not people, and can eat things that we cannot.

And lastly, I got my original problem with wasting with Malasa – their predominate food was live wrigglers, daphnia, and so on. There was NEVER any dry food or frozen mix left lying around for them to eat anyway. And if what you described was the case, how come I've had other fish come down with it after the initial fish, and in addition, other fish in the same tank have not?

So did we establish if Sterazin doesn't work? That's the only stuff I've got.

I've dosed my fish a couple of times and I've had no casulties from wasting as yet. However the "infected" fish all still seem healthy but certainly haven't got back their plump stomachs. Which annoys me, but better than losing them altogether I suppose.

From my personal experience, Sterizin did not work. I would also say, if your fish are still skinny, they are still affected, but have gone into a “holding pattern” before they die. I may be wrong, but from what I have seen, I expect your fish are still sick.

This disease is really starting to peeve me off now. One of my red empress's started showing early signs. I put garlic in and all has been fine for about a week. Now another much younger fish is showing signs. I have got to the point that it is impossible to cure this disease and feel like giving up on the hobby as much as i love it I hate the fact that no matter what I do I encounter the same thing, a fish going for food, taking it in it's mouth then spitting it out!

Will they ever find a cure for this disease????

Archived