Wasting

</DIV><H1>Fish Wasting Away</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: az</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi All

<br>

<br>

Is anybody else having the wasting disease problem?

<br>

<br>

I had an e yellow recently that completely wasted away, seemed to be eating but not putting on any 'meat'. Finally I put him out of his misery. Now I seem to have other fish with the same afliction.

<br>

<br>

This could be the same problem that Craig T had with his Leptosoma but now seems to manifest in other type of fish fish.

<br>

<br>

Any thoughts or same problem and how you fixed it?

<br>

<br>

Cheers (but not happy)

<br>

<br>

Andreas

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BlakeyBoyR</STRONG><BR><BR>Really sorry to hear that man

Maybe some sort of stomach problem ? I wish I could help but alas I dont know anything of the condition, good luck anyway

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: sgrunter</STRONG><BR><BR>Funny you should say that, as a few of my A.chilumba peacocks have just withered to nothing?

<br>

Is it intestinal?

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Dave</STRONG><BR><BR>I thought the wasting thing was TB - wasnt aware of a cure, would get them out before it spread to others - put it in a baggy in the freezer.

<br>

<br>

Open for other opinions.....

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: yevrah</STRONG><BR><BR>Could be worms... Or some intestinal infection..

<br>

<br>

Either way if you loosing fish try diagnosing using some of the available materials:

<br>

<br>

aquaria disease faq:

faqs.org/faqs/aquaria/gen...index.html

<br>

thekrib.com disease section:

www.thekrib.com/Diseases/

<br>

<br>

I'am sure you can find more references.

<br>

<br>

BTW how much does an autopsy cost these days? I've had some fish die recently and water checked out OK..

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

Harvey

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: aurea23</STRONG><BR><BR>If it is TB then kanamyzin may work. Sechem have a product called kanaplex but it is near impossible to get. When it was available a vet prescription was needed. I wanted to get some of it myself but couldnt

<br>

<br>

Mike

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: kevkoi</STRONG><BR><BR>My hunch is on internal flagellates or worms.... Discus often have this problem. Try a dose of Droncit (Praziquantel) soaked in brineshrimp and fed to the fish. If it's tape worm or something like that, it should pass out and that should fix the problem. Aquarium science has a product called "Worm Rid"... active ingredient is praziquantel.

<br>

<br>

If that doesnt work, try a 3day dose of Flagyl (metronidazole). If you can't find Flagyl, Octozin can also be used (esentially the same active ingredient.)

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>Other than TB or parasites like worms or flagellates it could also be a vitamin deficiency seems a lack of vitamin C will give similar probs to some fish

<br>

Anita had a similar prob with O.auromarginatus (Margarette) a while back she may be able to advise dosage

<br>

<br>

Last time someone got a necropsy done it was about $45 +

<br>

<br>

L2H

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi all,

<br>

<br>

I had the same problem with one of my discus and I've tried different types of treatment, namely: Praziquantel, Metronidazole, increase temp up to 36'c, even DOGS chewable deworming tabs without any success. The fish still ate well but no matter how much and how often it eats, it didn't put on weight. In the end I had to put to sleep. This is the worst nightmare that I, as a fish keeper, ever encountered.

<br>

<br>

Also, I may add, it's very hard to get some uncommon medications like antibiotics.

<br>

<br>

I'd been thinking to contact Dr. Harry Cooper (Harry's Practice) as it seems he always has a solution for any pet problem.

What do you reckon guys?

<br>

<br>

<br>

DD

Archived