Can I add more Fish

colonel

Hi All

I have a 215L Aqua One tank...the standard in the top filter at 2000L/Hr and a second eheim canister at about 600L/Hr so filtration is pretty good I think. Cruched coral substrate...lots of rocks. I do strict weekly 20% water changes and occasionally do 2 a week if I have time. pH is 8.2. Nitrates never seem to get higher than 20 and are about 5 after a water change.

Fish in the tank are:

Electric Yellow - 2M/3F and 1?. One female has held and produced fry

Maingano - 1M/3F (could be 2M/2F). One female is holding

Rusty - 1M/1F/1?. One is holding

1 Syno Multi

2 Bristlenose 1M/1F

This mix was chosen mainly due to colour mix and the hope that they will not cross breed.

The Rusty's and Maingano are quite small. I have had them since juvenile and they have just reached breeding age.

4 of the Yellows are 6-7cm, rest are 4-5cm.

Syno is about 8cm

BN are 4cm and 5cm.

How does that all sound...If I can fit them in I would like to add a few more Maingano's as they are pretty active and interesting. Would try to add 1M/2F. If it would be getting too stocked, I would happily reduce the Yellows to 1M/2 or 3F keeping the larger fish.

Can someone offer me some advice....everything is going well and I do not want to upset tings by adding too many fish

Thanks

Colonel

Judging by your excellent nitrate readings it appears that you have the capacity to add more fish under your current maintenance regime. But just a thought, before adding more maingano’s you may want to consider adding more syno’s. I have never kept them but i understand they do better in groups.

I agree with Oakes.

You definately need a couple more Cuckoos. They're more active and more fun when in groups of 3 or more.

But in saying that, you can also add another 2-3 Maingano, as long as you keep up with your excellent maintenance. I've seen these tanks packed with a lot of mbuna (25+ fish) with no ill-effect. (again, maintenance must be spot on).

Cheers,

KimO.

Awesome...thanks for the replies.

I am glad you guys think my maintenance is good, I wasn't sure. The maintenance is easy and quick with 2 x 20L buckets. Only takes 20 mins or so.

I'll grab some more maingano's. They are very entertaining fish.

My Syno Multi is wild caught (I have had it since very small), so I will try and track down 2 more wild caught. They are a bit pricey though...will they breed in a tank..???

Cheers

Colonel

Cuckoos will definately breed in a tank....They'll spawn along side your other Mbuna. In fact they will trick Mbuna females to hold their eggs for them.....sneaky!!!

Cheers,

KimO.

If you think u have 2x m maingano i would try to only add f/m dont need more males, your multis will breed in the tank but dont think your fish are big enought to hold the fry as they grow fast and your females maybe in trouble holding them. I'd read up on the multis to see what they need, plenty of info on the net, Good luck

Got one more female Maingano yesterday..they are very hard to sex small, but three of us at the LFS agreed it was a girl.

That gives me 1M/4F or 2M/3F which both should be OK.

Will read up the Multis and try and track a few more down.

Cheers

Colonel

Archived