Chuckmeisters random pics

Chuckmeister

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah lids are one of those things with me..its sort of like doing the dishes of the aquarium hobby.

On a side note i bought myself a welder today so early next year I might start welding up some stands for my tank.

I have been thinking about the size a little more and I may have to consider reducing the height to 3 foot for the sole reason of thats my maximum door width for getting it in and out of the house if I ever decide to move. Still considering 5 foot wide though. I'll weld 2 stands each 2.5 ft wide for the same reason, door width.

Next project though is a timber hood

• 7 months later...

Large tank idea has gone out the window. I'm too lazy lol

After setting up my 5 footers I just purchased I'll likely fill the wall gap beside my eight footer with a 4.5x3x2.5 to fill in the space and build a water bridge across them. Might be a while though as these 5 footers are leaching my pockets something bad.

Anyway played around with a quick time lapse today

Very nice mate, a very healthy vibrant looking tank and fish.

A really like large Malawi displays,,,, flat out robust, and active,, full of color. :)

Very robust, flat strap is a better word.

Chucky do they ever get tired from swimming so fast?

By the way bloody noice tank! :unsure:smile:

Thanks guys.

I've just got a couple of those 4 foot worx led's. Problem with led's, and I've had a few now, is I find they have a burn in. they are super bright when you first put them in but once burned in they seem to lose some of their brightness and maintain that brighness. On a large deep tank I dont think they are optimal. I could put on 4 though even as cheap as they are, it works out fairly expensive.

I'm hoping that these new lights I'm getting (for the 5 footers) will work out better and if they do I'll change the worx ones over to these new ones. I bought a day night controller for my 5 footers so I'm super keen to program a cycle into it and eventually put moon lights on them all.

Excellent video Chuck. The time lapse is a superb way to demonstrate the movement and dynamics of the tank's inhabitants.

Did you short on a video camera or your mobile device? I use Lapse It on my iPhone for this type of video and it does a great job.

My little sony n50 doesn't do time lapse unfortunately.

What I'm doing is using quicktime to export the video as a set of frames.

I'm then removing 11 out of every 12 frames and restitching the images back into a video.

Its a bit time consuming but seems to do the trick

I'll certainly be sticking some up as I fire them up. The top tank is planted and is costing a bit more than I anticipated so the tropheus on the bottom will have to wait for a bit.

I have a log of the top tank going in the communty section here atm.

You might wanna jump in and fill in the gaps on how you were using the sidedrop. I could only figure you were using powerheads.

My system was quite simple but very effective -

I included all the K media that I was using with the tanks. I have the small powerhead on the bottom facing up, and an air stone in each corner - this allowed me to have no dead spots in the media. I had some mesh over the two drilled holes in the side drop and filled the tank up so the water level was about half way up the two cut out holes to allow water to pass between the side drop and the rest of the aquarium. Worked a treat - I had the tank way overstocked and never had any issues with biological filtration. The only word of warning is that the bacteria on the K media takes a good amount of time to become seeded and fully functional. Once mature the colonies are very resilient and adaptable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couldn't help myself today..while waiting to setup my planted I decided to get a few fish to kickstart my tang tank.

Its not the way it will stay obviously but a start. This tank might upset a few people but I got a dozen Tropheus moliro that just came out of quarantine, a pair of daffodil brichardi and a pair Lepidiolamprologus kendalli. Also gonna plant this tank. I know the tropheus will eat it but vallis is easy to get and cheap food really.

See how it goes anyway. Feel like throwing the ball out of left court and see what happens.

DSC01016_zps4drfjyhp.jpg

I'll post up a few more as the water clears

Archived