Chuckmeisters random pics

Chuckmeister

Hey guys, been a while since I've been active and thought I'd post up a few pics over the next few days...some new...some older...

I've only got my 8*3 left atm but I feel the bug sort of coming back. This is a pic of my 8*3*2.5. Custom background, woomera rock and a few plastic plants, shells etc. Not much in fish atm..wouldn't mind maybe putting in a colony of red rainbows one day...anyway...

2014-10-02014520_zpsd62e9fb8.jpg

2014-10-02014252_zpsc796dbd5.jpg

Crappy photo's from my phone..soz

Chuck

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ged...yeah it desperately needs fish and better lightling.

Its currently got a 6*2*2 sump underneith. I've just bought 2 aquaclear 500's off AOA. Just testing their service and then I might remove the sump and replace with 2 eheim 2260's

These ones are about 12 months old now

8by31293x570.jpg

This one is when I had albino dimi's

8foot_aquarium.jpg

It had air plumbing built through the length of the tank but I dont use it currently

8foottank.jpg

Welcome back Chuck. :thumbup:

Your tank has too many ornaments to my liking. I'd free up the front half of the tank for swimming space as your back ground has taken 1/4 or 1/3 of the foot print. But that's just me...

As long as you're happy with it, that what matters.

Welcome back Chuck. :thumbup:

Your tank has too many ornaments to my liking..

lol yeah it is a little jammed in there. I was experiencing a little agro in the tank some time ago and I found those plastic plants act like a labyrinth for confusing fish.

I'm actually thinking of stripping the tank...maybe when I change the sump to cannister and maybe redoing another background. I'm in the process of getting a 4 by 2 that will be a new tang or tropheus tank but can act as a temp home while changing house.

I sometimes forget how much they have to hide in..the base of the tank is basically caves..each entrance has been compartmentized in itself with small opening between them so they can cross through.

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

nice tank.

where did those albino dimi comps go?? any idea. i have been chasing albino haps for a while with no success.

im currently looking at getting n 8 foot tank for my new house. But have not decided on width and height. Is your tank 3ft high or wide? My biggest concern with going to a high tank is the inability to clean it and rearrange things on the floor of the tank. how do you find yours?

Hi Firthy. Albino compressceps are notorieously difficult to keep alive. I have spent several thousand probably over the years on this fish alone. I bred one girl once and got around 50 fry off her before losing the lot. They start to breath heavily, stop eating and die. I dosed them up with everything imaginable and even had a vet (and a bunch of student) try and analyze the fish with no result. I have read that the only way to keep these alive is to put a UV sterilizer in line with your filter. I didn't go down this track though because I didn't think UV was really what I wanted on my tank.

My tank is 3 wide and 2.5 tall. I made this decision (actually I was talked out of 3 high) for the reason you are asking for. And I am happy I didn't go for 3 tall. Any maintenance would be near impossable...unless of course you currently drag your knuckles on the ground lol I decided to put a 6*2*2 sump on to offset the half foot I trimmed off. Even doing anything with a 3 foot width is a pain if you cant get to the back of the tank.

Got my 2 aquaclear 500 's for my tank today and as per usual nothing fits. The bracing around the top edge is too large so for anyone considering these filters for a bit of mechanical or in my case for a bit of current... 20 mm retic fittings will able you to extend the width of the intakes.... Its not pretty but it works

2014-10-08200534_zpsc8dbeff3.jpg

2014-10-08200749_zps22ab360c.jpg

Lid wont close atm but I'll slot the lid tomorrow!

I luv aquaclears...haven't had one in a long time but for water polishing I cant think of a better filter. Cheap to buy and cheap to run. The noise is no louder than my sump so collectively its about the same. I get rid of the carbon etc and just double the sponges up. I bought 4 from ebay for 25 dollars delivered. Some people dont like aquarium water noise but for me its makes for a little ambient background noise. I am fairly industrial deaf though...sometimes my hearing is a little selective...water is sometimes the least worrisome thing to listen to in the house lol

The Chuck is Back!!!!! :lol5::lol5:

Mate, it has been a long time.. Glad to see you back in the game.. The bug sometimes isnt quite so strong, but its always there.. It will flare up occasionally.. Its kinda like herpes I guess..

I would recognise the Albino Comp tank from anywhere..

Anyway, hopefully we see you around a bit more.. Im always lurking but hardly posting..

Cheers

Alvon

(Alan from Vebas Aquariums) I live in Sydney now.. :woohoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mate..

The fish are easier to get a hold of on this side.. :drooling:

I live fairly close to a few of the members that have always got a great selection. Grant Parkes is about 15mins from me and I had a beer with Jim in his Tropheus room a little while ago who its literally a stones throw from my place..

To be honest though, the aquarium shops back home are much bigger and better for me. You dont have a Vebas like shop over here.. Thats what is needed, a one stop shop that will pretty much have everything you need in the one store.. There is a lot of little boutique stores that will have a reasonable selection but nothing close to Vebas..

Hope you have been well mate.. So whats next for the fish keeping??

You going to dabble in Tropheus?

Good to hear your well :)

I dont know what's next..sort of just getting back into it slowly.

I have been thinking lately of building a new tank. Not sure if you remember but I build and repair boats for a living. Been thinking of making another tank but out of fibreglass.

I have a wall thats 13 feet long and was thinking maybe building a tank the length of the wall...maybe 13feet long, 5 wide and 4 deep. On the front, having 2 split windows each 6 foot but only 3 foot tall in 15mm glass.

Not entirely sure if I will go ahead with it but its lurking in the back of my mind atm.

thought I'd post up a few more pics.

A couple of my calvus !! Had about 25 of these in a 6*2 that I collected from various parts of Aus. Were my pride and joy until I had to move house and get rid of them.

I'm hoping that you can still get calvus of quality and if anyone has any photo's of good ones feel free to post yours up too.

Image00003.jpg

Image00001.jpg

Archived