bloated wild caught frontosa mikula

Yabbie Dabbie Do

Hi guys one of my breeding frontosa mikula has slowly blown up the size of a puffer fish over the last few months. she looks like she is about to expode. just wondering if any body has had a similar situation? some background history! water parameters are spot on and all other tank mates are 100% healthy have been bathing her in Epsom salts melafix and metro as well as soaking food in metro for the last week. she was originally gulping for air but is not any more. I witnessed her doing a fluro greeny blue stringy poo today? Her tubes look like they are trying to come down and she has been egg bound once before. I have tried squeezing eggs out of her again but can't get any to come out so am ruling out egg bound at this stage. Anyone experienced similar symptoms or have any other advice?

Usually metro is your best measure for most ailments.

I once had a Burundi female with issues just like yours.

I fished her out and layed her on her side on a towel,,, I used a sharp sewing needle and pushed it perfectly central through the anus 5mm in.

The stomach depressed and air come out, I needed to do this three times or so.

I guess a actual proper needle with a hollow center would would bleed out the air better.

Maybe yours has the air bound up like mine did many years ago.

Maybe yours is a different case. :)

I fished her out and layed her on her side on a towel,,, I used a sharp sewing needle and pushed it perfectly central through the anus 5mm in.

The stomach depressed and air come out, I needed to do this three times or so.

I guess a actual proper needle with a hollow center would would bleed out the air better.

Lol I bet she hid every time you walked past her tank :p

Hah ha yeah mate, she was never the same again.

She was always a non-producer/breeder though,,, the bad end of the stick in all aspects.

Had the colony for eight years though.

I added another Colony in of Kipili,,, as soon as the Kipili started spawning I took all the Burundi out and sold them to Vebas.

I felt so guilty walking away from them, I can tell you. They produced so much fry for me to.

There are a few names for this fish affliction depending on the species. In Frontosa it is normally refereed to as Float. You should be able to find a few good articles around in treatment. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/frontosa_floating.php

The Epsom salts is a common method as well as the needle.

I know you have used the needle already but here is a video on this method.

I wouldn't I have saved many trophy with Epsom salts. As the saying goes there is nothing like a dose of salts. I used to use a separate tank and slowly increasing the salt level over a few days. You can also try salt baths. It will draw the fluid out of the fish plus flush them out.

Cheers

Rosco

great call Rosco and Ged, its far less invasive and more often than not, effective. Epson salts is a common first treatment for bloat. Its not your typical salt treatment but rather like a diaretic, Yabby !! Different salts..

If you have a spare tank, put in one tablespoon per 10g (40 litres) for an hour or so

edit this looked like good info

Very occasionally some frontosas get bloated with air, I'm not sure of the reasons.

But not to be confused with normal straight out bloat or related gram negative infection bloat.

Epsom salts and metro won't fix up a air bloat problem.

Even rarer again which can happen any fish, is like a tumorous thickening evenly or slightly unevenly around rib cage abdominal regions.

This appears like bloat, but if you catch the fish out and prod with your finger, it's very hard to touch, rock hard.

This is untreatable.

It could be that light yellow/green fluid build up I mentioned (internal infection) that I mentioned then.

If its something of value to me, I hit it straight with DMZ, common dime a dozen fish I typically cull.

Usually gas build up is quite tight springy to touch.

Soft rolly and mooshy could be internal fluid.

Bit like touching silicone enhanced breasts, hah ha.

Frontosa are notorious air gulpers when feeding. I've had a few occassions where frontosa gulp air, bloat and float around the tank for a week or so. Hopefully you get lucky and she deflates. Thankfully I've never had to pop one with a needle !!

How is her attitude in the tank,? Is she still trying to feed? trying to be active?

How's she now? Can you upload the photo of bloated fish?

If you need DMZ urgenly, kindly let me know. Thanks

They are basically the same, but DMZ is a little more faster acting and is a little more fool proof.

Because its properly soluble and better dose rates are achieved.

Be sure to have no UV units running as it cancels out antibiotics.

If antibiotics doesn't clear it up,,,,, then it's gas/air build up or some type of tumor disfigurement.

All antibiotics is prescription only,,, so keep the talk of where to get it from at a low and maybe a bit of re-editing above.

Talking where to get from is fine if talking vets obviously.

The consensus with gas/air, is that they gulp air at surface when feeding, most people have said this is the cause.

Mine was fed sinking pellet only and she never gulped air, and yet the gas appeared.

Archived