Hey everyone,

I'm planning to start my first tank with Cichlids within the next few weeks, was just looking for some tips and advice on keeping them as pets. I've been researching a little bit about cichlids, and I understand that there are species that you just can't put together.

So I have a list below of fish that I like and were considering to establish my tank with, was wondering if you could share your thoughts on it, thankyou.

Edited in
(Tank Is a 4 Foot long. 50cm Wide and 60cm High) (I have Canister Filtration AquaOne (Quis1200) 750 l/h).

Discus
Convict
Demasoni
Hongi
Venustus
Dragon Blood Peacocks
Mpanga
Electric Blues
Yellow Labs
Yellowtail Acei
Crabro
Kingisizei
Maingano

Sorry if I haven't used the correct names for the fish or the scientific name, I don't plan on getting all these fish, these are just ones that I like and would like an opinion on,

Thanks,
James

Welcome to the world od cichlids. Most are compatible except discus and possibly convicts although they are tough. We also need to know the size tank and filtration you are planning to use as it will determine how many fish and if the venustus will fit.

Cheers

Rosco

Hi James

welcome to ACE :raisehand:

first you need to break down water parameters

American - South

Discus - soft neutral to acid pH so 7.0 - 6.2

American Central
Convict - alkaline pH 7.2 - 8.2

African Lake Malawi
Demasoni - alkaline pH 7.6 - 8.4
Hongi
Venustus
Mpanga
Electric Blues
Yellow Labs
Yellowtail Acei
Crabro
Kingisizei
Maingano

so figure out what you like and keep fish that have the same water parameters

and it's easier if your tapwater is similar

African Hybrid

Dragon Blood Peacocks same water as above Malawi

not true strain species but if you like them .......

So say I go with African lake Malawi, and I choose a few species like

- hongi

- venustus

- yellow labs

- Electric blues

- mpanga

How many of each fish is it worth going for, I assume some species like being in groups and others by themselves. Any thoughts?

not bad list i got similar in my tank every one seems to get along with each other no dramas hongis can be fairly territorial but mainly to there own kind. venustus are gentle giants from my experience yellow labs keep to them selves as to the blues. not sure about mpangas though never had them.

not bad list i got similar in my tank every one seems to get along with each other no dramas hongis can be fairly territorial but mainly to there own kind. venustus are gentle giants from my experience yellow labs keep to them selves as to the blues. not sure about mpangas though never had them.

So do you suggest getting a hongi by itself or as a group of 2-3? I have also heard they can be aggressive to their own kind.

had 3 male hongis together for a while now alot of chasing goes on but seems to be about it. hongis and mpanga im guessing would cross. you never did say size of your tank.

sorry now i see it had a quick glance for it there. gf has a venustus in a similar size tank growing out not sure how she will get along when its full size. always plenty of filtration the go she has a ehiem external and a large internal filter going and we clean them with tank water alternate weeks. she has quite a few fish in there at present but mostly growing nothing full size as yet.

• 1 month later...

Archived