Any experience with Fossorochromis rostratus

CommandoAndo

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Fossorochromis rostratus? I'm considering getting a small colony but don't know too much about them. Have read articles etc but am interested in first hand experience. Did they not get on with another species? Anything you would suggest avoiding etc?

Thanks!

Yea beautiful fish when they get coloured. Can be aggressive so you'll need a large tank. I had one male and he was a grumpy sod so not sure how he would have gone with 2 in the tank. Different colony's often act differently so you might get lucky.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I have 3 males with 2 females in a 6x2. Both females have mouthfuls at the moment. Dominant male is a stunner and has been since he was about 8cm. The next male only gets full colour when there's a spawn about to happen and the third doesn't show much colour. I have livingstoni, phenochilus and spare male pulpican and elongatus In With them and have never seen any aggression yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 males and 3 females at about 16-22cm in an 8x2x2. Had them in a 6x2 before, but they didn't start breeding until they went into the 8x2. The male is pretty full on and harass females quite a while after spawning.

I have a colony of 8 Hemitilapia Oxyrhynchus with them and they are breeding well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived