Stocking

Flycaster

Hi, I currently run a 6 x2x2 tank and it has 4 monos, 3 archer fish and two red bay snook (patenia splendida) it kinda mostly looks adequately stocked but on occasions it also seems quiet.

My question is, knowing that the fish will all get bigger ( archers and snook are about 5inches) am I fully stocked? If so then that's fine, if not is there anything that might go well with my other tank guests? I would like more snook but I realise they get pretty big.

Cheers

Once fish have reached full size you'll be overstocked.

As of now your ok but shouldn't stock more,, as the archers grow lightning fast,, and the Bsnooks being a large over all fish, their size growth in monthly increments is bigger from month to month than other smaller species.

A 6x2 suffices one pair of breeding Bsnooks,,, but as time goes on (which doesn't take long), the 6x2 will be to small for just the pair.

Likely down the track, you'll have to remove the Bsnooks and add a few other smaller types of fish,, or go through the temporary process again of starting with small Bsnooks again.

Yeah I know :-) do they frequently get up to the 20" potential? From reading around the web it appears that not many get to 20" , if that's the case then I might have to start looking at options for a bigger tank :-) although that may also entail a house move.....

:-) in all seriousness a bigger tank isnt really an option at the house... Unless renovations are involved, had a hard enough job getting a 6 ft one built into the wall. I am envious of the availability of tanks on the mainland though.. Very seriously expensive for the 8x3x2 that I really want :-)

Archived