Where to get bigger spinning arms from?

Trojan

Looking at getting a 8x2x2 and putting in 2x40mm bulkheads plumbed to 2 spinning arms.

Problem is, I want to upgrade the spinning arms from 25mm to 40mm but was told the 40mm spinning arms cost $150 each!! That sounds really expensive.

Does anyone know where I can get 40mm spinning arms from and how much?

Or better options than 40mm spinning arms?

you might also need to upgrade the pump [more $$'s] to run 2x 40mm bulkheads and spinners

be carefull that you don't over run the capacity of the sump. what size pump and sump are you currently running?

Just purchased a Laguna 11000 (10600lph at zero head)

Sump is a standard 4 footer.

Why not just buy PVC pipe from the hardware store? Drill holes in it and plug up the ends. I think we used a T-piece and the water flow made the whole thing rotate on its own. Had one set up like that on our 8x2x2 and worked a charm for a home made filter. :)

Trojan,

I concur with Ash. Not from experience however. In looking at filteration designs for my fishroom lately, one very experienced fishkeeper suggested to me that drip plates a far more efficient and effective the spin bars.

p.

Really? As in drip plates more efficient than spinning arms?

In that case there is no point going to spinning arms as drip plates are a lot cheaper.

Might even end up getting 3ft out of my 4ft filled with media (top part bioball/scourer, submerged part matrix/scoria)

Any other advice before I give my tank maker the instructions?

Why not just buy PVC pipe from the hardware store? Drill holes in it and plug up the ends. I think we used a T-piece and the water flow made the whole thing rotate on its own. Had one set up like that on our 8x2x2 and worked a charm for a home made filter. :)

I would have thought if the T peice was loose enough to rotate, it would come off with a bit of water pressure.

Hi Anita

can we please see the foto that u talking about?

No problem Anita.

Good to u see u pop in here, its a long time u being ducking or are u out of cichlid hobby?

is perth any good compare to sydney interm on weather, food and people?

Hi, what is a drip plate?? any photo?

and where can I get this??

Thanks

http://www.wetdryfilter.com/setting_up_your_filter.htm

you can make one, it's about the simplest device possible,

I made a large wet/dry out of a garbage bin & simply inverted the lid & drilled eleventy billion holes into it for the drip plate and put the mechanical pre-filter (jap koi matting, then floss) above it.

just a note on that laguna 11000 pump. i've got one on my outdoor pond, pumping about 5 feet of head through 40mm ribbed hose, and the single 50mm gravity flow outlet is only just enough to keep up with the flow. it simply is a monster, and i would guage a little big for basically any indoor tank. (unless you are running a 1000gallon monster tank)

but by all means try it. i just hope you dont make a horrible mess of someones nice clean floor when you start it up.

cheers

Cool, I couldn't find anyone with one. How do you rate the noise ... my biggest concern.

Does it really put out that much water at head? From past experience and from reviews, pumps with low wattage just cannot pump that much flow with a bit of head. 120W is very low in anyones language. Some pumps won't even do half the (rated) flow at that wattage.

I was just hoping for 8000lph at 6ft head.

Mine will have around 6ft of head and will be going up 40mm PVC to T piece which then adapts 2x25mmPVC into the tank. And since there are a few more 90deg bends, flow will probably be even lower.

I suspect 2x40mm outet should be enough ... if not, I will probably at a switch in the return line and plumb some of the flow straight back into the sump.

my laguna 7500 runs about 1000l of tanks (similar to your 8x2) & has flow to spare - your pump is going to really turn over some water.

defianately go drip plate (or two, one filter tower at either end perhaps?) to have a hope matching the flow.

if those bulkheads aren't in a weir, put the largest possible pipe either side of them (like step them up to 50mm). if using standpipes, perhaps step up to 65mm standpipes.

to be honest, i havent listened to the noise of the pump. it was in a 5000l outdoor pond under nearly 3 feet of water. but the noise of the outlet into my 44gal DIY filter was pretty immense.

i know they are rated with a low wattage, and thus the reason i brought it over cheaper pumps, but the head rate is very good. try here for head flow rates

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/Pumps/lagu...x-flo_pumps.htm

still over 8000 lph at 7ft of head,

2x40mm overflows should be enough to take that sort of flow i guess. just working on surface areas, a single 50mm pipe has 19.63 sq cm and 2x40mm pipes have 25.21sq cm, so if my 50 just keeps up, by the time you make allowances for bends and spraybars, you should be OK.

but like ash said, of you have the chance, then 65mm dursos would be optimal, running into 40mm bulkheads (unless your not drilled yet, and in that case, 50mm bulkheads)

i'd love to hear how this all works out, cause the outdoor pond is struggling with water restrictions, and i wanna know if its worth keeping the pump for a future large tank.

cheers

Just purchased a Laguna 11000 (10600lph at zero head)

Sump is a standard 4 footer.

Just buy one spinner. a 40mm will do 10,000lph easily. imo drip trays are not as effective, however they do not break.

Archived