Help on sexing my TRopheus Moliro and REd Bemba

Wizza

Hey guys i currently have two tanks set up one is 5x2x2 and one 4x2x2. The 5ft has 30 Bemba reds in it and 4ft has 26 moliro. was wanting to know a little bit about sexing these guys so i could thin out numbers a little and get a good ratio.. What is a good ratio? At what size will these breed? i have been told that the mouth and head shape is a key in sexing but seems to me that there is only small differences. Also with vent sexing most the fish look like they have the same size vent.... What am i doing wrong lol

Thanks guys

would be good to know the size of your fish. ratio does not really matter with trophs. as long as they are getting along no need to thin out colony .if u do may lead to more agresion in tanks .the dom males will take over when ready m8 breeding will probably follow shortly after.old saying if its not broken dont fix it

I agree with tangs4me on ratios. If the group is getting along and aggression is managable, dont remove fish from the group. It can/will lead to more problems as the others fish will fight for that postion in the group.

You can sex tropheus by mouth and head shape, it is hard to do with smaller fish, impossible with fry. Vent sexing will work but wont be easy if the fish are small.

fish are between 7-11cm and there is one dominant male he owns one part and chases others awya but thats where it stops he dont follow them just chase them out of his area is this normal???

At that size you should be able to vent them easily. Its easier if you use a magnifying glass.

You should also be able to tell by head shape.

Read this link http://www.cichlidae.com/section.php?id=74. There are two pictures at the top and all though they arent the same speicies it show the differents in head shape quite well. Males tend to have straighter head and female will be more laid back, if that makes sence.

Here is an article on vent sexing http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm. It has some pictures that will make is easier to see what you should be looking for. Vent is by far the most acurate way to sex them.

josh

If the fish arent getting beaten up then I would leave them. The male is only doing what he has to do.

Archived