Algae on sand

Bruce

My sand has developed a thin layer of algae on it. I think it is from the lights but I don't want to cut down on the time the light is on. What is the solution to keeping it clean and algae free? I was thinking something that constantly turns it over. My little Xenos wub.gif churned some of the sand up last night but I don't think they will be doing it regularly enough to keep it clean. What about some kind of catfish? A featherfin cat or a S. Multi? What about clown loaches?

Bruce

could you try less lights perhaps? What is your current lighting setup?

My buddy's 8x2s get away with two single 4" fluros running the whole length of the tank.

If you have plants 10-12 hours. If not just keep it to the periods when you are around to view it. Easier to stop algae than trying to remove it after.

A 6ft single and a 4ft double all power glo tubes. How long would you recomend the lights be on for?

Bruce

I've got one but I don't have it running yet. I had it on my last tank and I had similar problems. I think they only work for algae suspended in the water. I got 2 Yoyo loaches as I saw them stirring up the gravel in the lfs and doing nose dives in it but they are gone and I have no idea where they are. They should be ok in there shouldn't they?

Bruce

well i dont think you have plants in the tank do you?

change the bulbs from gro lights to just normal tri phoshers bulbs, and loose one set of lights, i dont think you need that much my 8 foote just has 2 4 foot flouros and it is enough,

i do have a good algal growth on the rocks but the sand is clear.

The globes in the 4ft double are Atman 10000K super lights and in the 6ft long (double 3ft) I have a NEC Tri Phospher and an Aqua glo. There are no plants in the tank. I have a bottle of stuff called AlgaeFix, should I add this?

Bruce

The globes in the 4ft double are Atman 10000K super lights and in the 6ft long (double 3ft) I have a NEC Tri Phospher and an Aqua glo.  There are no plants in the tank.  I have a bottle of stuff called AlgaeFix, should I add this?

hi Bruce

the 10000K are over kill, far more suitable for marine and plants with a high light requirement. most cichlids prefer a lower light level. unless you need 'good' green algae, 6/8hrs is sufficient

pour the algae fix down the drain. remove the cause of the problem, don't just cover it up.

i'd not be prepared to add any boisterous type of 'cat' with xeno's.

the yo-yo's? maybe just hiding. but be aware, they can get agro and cause damage to others

The yoyos have come out and were sifting through the sand, hopefully he'll have a nice meal on the algae by the time the morning comes. They are probably the weakest in the tank and are getting spooked by the other fish.

Bruce

I'm sure he will have a nice meal. They dive in the sand etc when they are spooked.

Just listen to advice and reduce the light and you will be fine. Dont complicate things by adding this and that to the tank. You'd be just covering it up as Col said and wasting your $$.

pour the algae fix down the drain. remove the cause of the problem, don't just cover it up.

Please don't pour algaecides down the drain, or release anywhere near a watercourse. Dispose according to label, or maybe give it to someone else with an aquarium/pond/swimming pool.

Glenn

Archived