Snail removal

cmfir1

Further to what Craig said I must have the clockspring snails as they were everywhere, in the filter and in the gravel. Regardless of how much food I reduced to, and including the introduction of clown loaches did not help.

These little buggers have disturbed the catfish's breeding and another friend of mine who has them as well found some in a 6 bar phoni mouthful which was smaller than usual and might cause agitation to the fish. All in all a bad little critter in my opinion.

I also have catfish in my tanks and was looking for a non-chemical solution, which is cheaper as well, 99c for a bag of salt from the supermarket.

Clinton.

Unfortunately my camera has seen better days.....

Again I think they are clock spring snails going by the previous description given by Craig. They are a conical shape with the largest growing no larger than 1 cm, brown shell, and they offspring are tiny, probably less than 1/2 a millimetre and float around the tank till they get a bit large and then presumably drop into the tank.

I'll see if I can get a camera from somewhere over the next few days and post a pic.

On the chemical side, I already add NaCL to my aquariums in low concentrations and just thought a more natural chemical than poisons or potential poisons. smile.gif

Cheers,

Clinton.

Are they a long slender cone?

If so they sound like malaysian trumpet snails (nothing clock-like about them that I can picture).

They will normally only become a pest if they have access to a lot of uneaten food.

Malaysian trumpet snails (sometimes called cone snails) pics in this article.

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/content/?page_id=119

I've searched the net for "clockspring snails" without any success sad.gif

Not 100% sure this is them but one of my tanks has a heap of these guys that breed like rabbits! Have 20 BN in there and no difference angry.gif

user posted image

user posted image

I also have that snail Rae - they are in the article above. I dont have a name for them? Are they "clockspring snails"? They look like they are related to ramshorns??

I dont find them a problem (breeding wise). Do you have any loaches in the tank?

Malaysian trumpet snails are bad news, very hard to get rid of

i would clean the tank, dump the gravel in a hot sunny spot till your next tank and start a fresh, you will have to clean all your filter and parts etc etc

huge job

as for other snails, simple get a piece of PVC grinding a series of holes down one side, fill it with some pumpkin, pack filter wool in both open ends, and drop it in the tank once a week for a day, when you take it out dump the filter wool and throw the snails and the pumpkin

it doesn't get rid of them for a while but it certainlly cleans alot of them up! thumbup.gif

Malaysian trumpet snails are bad news, very hard to get rid of

i would clean the tank, dump the gravel in a hot sunny spot till your next tank and start a fresh, you will have to clean all your filter and parts etc etc

huge job

as for other snails, simple get a piece of PVC grinding a series of holes down one side, fill it with some pumpkin, pack filter wool in both open ends, and drop it in the tank once a week for a day, when you take it out dump the filter wool and throw the snails and the pumpkin

it doesn't get rid of them for a while but it certainlly cleans alot of them up!  thumbup.gif

No loachs, just BN

Regards

Rae,

That’s the ones. I’ve had these snails for years, and had no idea of what to call them. Eventually I saw on a US web site a description of these snails, and they were called clocksping. I assume due to their small size and spiral like construction. The’re similar to rams horn much smaller, concave on one side convex on the other.

They can be absolute buggers to get rid off.

I squashed 3-4 more last night in my Tropheus tank. These snails managed to survive from this tank when it was a planted tank, it spent a week on it side dry when I changed over to Tropheus, still got the snails though.

Go in there with a torch at night time, you might get a surprise to see how many there really are.

These snails survived in a four foot tank when I put a litre of snail rid in there.

Craig

Archived