Snail Removal

Ged

</DIV><H1>A Question of Snails.</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Chris Perth</STRONG><BR><BR>More to the point what eats snails, I seem to recall that Loaches in particular Clown Loaches relish eating snails and will clean out a tank in no time at all - Please confirm or any other advice as to what will rid my tanks of snails- which appear to be ramshorns just a bit larger than the size of a pin head. They seem to have appeared out of no where - probably some eggs left on a piece of wood or rock - bummer!

<br>

<br>

I know this is more of a catfish question than a cichlid question - but the snails are in some of my cichlid tanks.

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Clown loaches are your best bet - also reduce your feeding this tends to keep snails in check - no spare food = low snail populations.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: CThompson</STRONG><BR><BR>This particular type of snail is an absolute bastard to get ride of. I have them in a number of tanks, one of which is a planted tank, and the clown loaches, which did a good job for a while, have stopped eating them, and the snails are now taking over. In my Cichlid tanks, I have tried squashing/crushing them with extreme diligence...and I'm still working on it. I even go at it at night when the lights are off, with a torch, and I still haven't succeeded after a year and a half, of REALLY trying. In short, with this particular snail, I feel you are looking at some sort of chemical means of eradicating them.

<br>

<br>

Craig

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Baz</STRONG><BR><BR>I've found the same thing Craig, and in the end gave up.

<br>

I keep my feeding under check as YeW mentioned, and have learnt to enjoy these snails for their benefits.

<br>

They burrow through the sand, cleaning and turning it, and eating any excess food which falls.

<br>

I find them to be a very efficient clean-up crew, and also a good way of knowing when you are feeding too much. Too many snails? decrease the food.

<br>

The only downside is they steal a lot of eggs from my multifasciatus' shells.

<br>

I am reluctant to go chucking chemicals in until they become a serious problem for me.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi -

<br>

<br>

The best way to control these guys is thru limited feeding... in a closed system - you are adding the energy these snails take to breed - so make sure u add enough for the fish (and no one else)... you'll still have a few snails, they'll subsist on alga & droppings but the number will be managable.

<br>

<br>

If you have many, a jar with a piece of food in - left in o/night. Acts as a good snail trap...

<br>

<br>

Good luck

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: az</STRONG><BR><BR>Maybe there is a market for renting out good snail eating loaches. Always looking for an angle.

<br>

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

<br>

Andreas

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Bummers</STRONG><BR><BR>Fish of the Chilotilapia genus are the best snail eaters you'll ever find. rhoadesii pop up every now and then. If you lived in Sydney i have a nice young male that would fix your problem no worries.

<br>

<br>

Kurt

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: CThompson</STRONG><BR><BR>These snails are not the Chinese burrowing ones that people usually talk about in reference to a ?snail problem? Buz, which is what I feel you are referring to when you mention their benefits in regards to turning over the substrate. These guys, as mentioned in the first post look like ramshorn snails, but are only a few millimetres in size. They don't seem to be restricted by limited feeding (my plant tank is testament to that), and I never overfeed my African tanks, yet they have managed to survive one and a half years of an extermination campaign. And I don't intend to give up. I expect I will eventually will have to resort to chemical means, as this snail if left unchecked gets to unsightly numbers. Besides - I just DON'T WANT IT!

<br>

<br>

Signed - snail frustrated

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Smokey Jewel</STRONG><BR><BR>CThompson,

<br>

<br>

I too have these little critters in one (only one thank goodness) of my fry raisers (8g).

<br>

<br>

When I moved house this tank was not setup for about 3 months, tank was 98% emptied and left to sit.....the snails are all dead! When I reset it up afew weeks ago literaly thousands of 1mm snail shells floated to the surface. these were disposed by overflowing the tank (outside) with water for a few minuits.

<br>

<br>

So far there is no sign of the snail problen in this tank, however the filter that was on the origional 8g now is getting a new outbreak........here we go again.

<br>

<br>

The snails love and I mean love zuchini, secure a few pieces to the bottom then remove the totaly snail covered zuchini and leave it in the sun on the drive for a few hours to rid yourself of the little beasts. However annoying these little snails are (especialy in the impellor of my filter) they are good indication that the tank is stable and chemicaly healthy.

<br>

<br>

Smokey.

Archived