Snails: Removal

mysteriousredsuns

Gday,

had the same problem and the tank was over run with snails...pulled all fish out and ran the tank at marine salinity for 2 weeks and killed the lot... just remember when putting fish back you will end up with high ammonia and nitrite due to all the dead buggers in the tank...

You could try and make a snail trap. You get a 2L coke bottle and cut it in half horizontally. Take the pouring end and place it upside down in the base so it looks like a funnel going into a cup. Jam it in nicely so that it isnt so loose it will fall apart as soon as you move it. Place some blanched lettuce, cucumber etc. in the base of the bottle. Leave the bottle in the corner of your tank overnight and by morning you should have a coke bottle filled with snails which you can easily throw out and repeat again if necessary thumb.gif

thanks for the response.

its a 2 ft tank with snails but i dont know exactly what type. they arent ramshorn or mysteries but some are brown shelled, a couple white shelled. and they are ony a cm big at the most.

i put heaps of salt in so i hope that would do the trick. not sure about chemicals because a) costs money and b) might have to clean the tank after really really well.

im curious tho with the copper, how does that kill the snail?

i am earmarking the tank for sale so i would hate to have snail eggs on the glass. that would really be 'punkt'ing the buyer.

Archived