Roccio octofasciata - Jack Dempsey

RonnyM

Here the female tends to the eggs moments before they hatch.

DSC_5099_zpskl0khijq.jpg

You can see the spines formed in the eggs and some of the pigment of the fry.

DSC_5044_zpsyoyhvd48.jpg

As the eggs hatch, the female collects them and moves them to spit for protection while the male stands guard.

Cheers

RonnyM.

can tell they have been looked after well, nice shots and fish - keep up the good work.

have you found the EBJDs to be "weak" as some fish keepers proclaim or is that just an excuse people use.

Hi Ronny,

Great pics and videos!

Would love to hear your experiences on hardiness of the EBJDs.

Cheers

From my experience, if you take the time to raise them properly (good water, regular water changes and good food) they are just as strong as any other fish.

I've done a few experiments with some batches where I just fed them crushed up flake and or weekly water changes and the fry were deformed.

From the same parents, with better care, the fry are deformity free and bullet proof.

From ones that I have taken the time to raise properly, I have put them through some pretty harsh conditions (stupidly high nitrates, extreme temps, changing parameters from one extreme to another very quickly etc.) and they come out fine.
I've even left a few in a container with about 200ml of water for a few days ( I forgot I had taken them out) and once returned to their tank were fine.

They have a bad rep for being weak deformed fish but that comes from people that haven't kept, bred or raised them properly ;)

Cheers

RonnyM.

Wow, good on you for doing these tests/experiments!

Interesting results and just shows again that good care for the fish when they are still young has such a massive impact on their well being!

Great Work :thumb :thumb

I've always wondered how they got the bad rep and even more so when I bred them myself. So I thought I'd sue it out and clarify for myself :)

Just a few from the latest batch...

DSC_5729_zpscybtc1xt.jpg

Cheers

RonnyM.

Archived