extra filter recommendation?

sab

hi all...

I'm thinking of adding an extra filter to my standard 4 foot (180litre) to run inconjunction with my EHEIM 2215. I guess im after a bit more mechanical filtration (the Eheim is great but can never have enough filtering right!) for all the suspended particles and secondary a biological filter - every bit helps right? I was looking at the internal power filters or maybe a hangon filter? I don't want a noisy filter though.

List of fish as per below in signature.

Any suggestions what other are running, what others would suggest and brands/prices to consider would be great.

thanks in advance!

thanks Sarah!

Are they the waterfall type filters? And they are not too noisy?

which model would you suggest for a 4 foot tank (and used in conjunction with the Eheim)?

Aquaclear 150? 200? 300?

thanks for all the info! smile.gif

I generally use two filters on all my tanks. I make the canister bioligical filtration only. By that I mean I remove the sponge and filter wool and replace them with ceramic noodles or bio balls. Increases the time between cleans dramatically. I would use a 300 on that size tank. Another option is an internal. Does a good job, is cheaper but a bit more messy to clean.

Sounds like an Aquaclear is the go. Having said that, you could always go for another canister. You could use an internal but they take up tank space and look a bit ugly if you can't hide it. I think Bijengum's idea of using the canister as bio only is a great idea.

Good luck with it,

Jamie.

Hey guys,

i use the aqua clears on a few of my tanks and i reckon youll get away with a 200 on the 4ft personally. I used to use a 300 by itself on a 4ft display with alot more fish than you have there. There only quiet too if you have your water level up nice and high so remember that too. HTH Cheers Andy

great suggestions all!

I especially like the idea of the EHEIM as pure biolgical and a HOB or internal filter to pick up the mechanical duties

Hows the Aquaclear compare to say a FLUVAL 3 or 4 PLUS internal filter, other than it takes up a little more space inside the tank? Im currently running x2 FLUVAL 2PLUSes on two 40litre community tanks and find them quite good. Ive never had experience with an AQUACLEAR type HOB filters.

They seem pretty cheap so will probably give them a go!

Keep the suggestions coming if you can! smile.gif

cheers

Hi

I'll stick my 5 cents.... I've faced the same problem last year.

All my tank I run on eheim filters and I do not have any air pumps in the tank.

But I have in all the tanks a SP power head filter. They are great and THE AGE OF AQUARIUMS has got a range of them. I use them to creat a bit of current in the tank ( you can adjust it to what ever you want), they great for mecanical filteration and also use them to arate the tank. Easy to clean and have Good energy rating.......

For your tank I would rec. a SP1200L 700lph - $25.

I got one tank it is 90x60x45 (220L), it runs on 2215 and SP1200L and its perfect.

Every time I change water in the tank I clean the SP, it takes 5 min...... thumb.gif

smile.gif

Robert

I'll go with Robert on this one, i like the Resun SP series, just rip out the bioballs they come with and put some good mechanical filtration media in it.

All you have to do is reach into the tank, pull the cartridges off, whack them into a waiting bucket, wash 'em out, take 'em back to the tank and put them back in ! How much easier could you want it ?

Mine's completely silent, except when it gets clogged up with crap. (which it never does, of course, it always get cleaned when it's supposed to innocent.gif )

Except they're pretty noisy if you use the air hose thing for them, i prefer an air pump, because the tank's right near my bed.

I have an SP-2500 (1400 lph) in my std 4ft, creates a good current, but not too strong for most cichlids, except maybe angels and such.

HTH,

Andy.

Guest Gutty

I'm with Bijengum.

All my tanks(4x18 and 6x18s) have a canister for bio only and an AquaClear 500 as mechanical.

The ACs are so easy to clean........unlike canisters.

I clean my ACs every week(4 of them takes about 10minutes) and my canisters every 3 months or so depending on the load they take. For mechanical i generally use wadding in place of the standard AC sponge, mess it up and throw it away and replace it. It's easier than cleaning the AC sponges out and i believe it filters a little better too.

Just my opinion

Matt

Archived