Iridescent shark

Southwestroyalty

• 6 months later...

I bought some very cute babies from a guy breeding these in QLD last month. His broodstock are very big so yes they are definitely a tank buster.

One of the few legal exotics available in QLD and NSW. I've got the guys phone number so PM me if interested.

Edited by fishdance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah they don't stay too small!!

They get very large in length but also in girth. Extremely powerful fish and very very skittish. Oh yeah eat like tanks but nothing compared to rtc.

Really these need to be kept in tanks with a large footprint even at a young age as stunting can occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Update. These fish are around 50-60 cm now. I have 12 of them and one seems to be a short body. They are very active, swim at all levels of the tank alone and in schools, it's obvious why people call them irridescent sharks as they have a magical shimmer and cut through the water sleek and gracefully.

Currently in a 4m tank but I'm building a bigger one. Hoping to get them to 1.5m sizes eventually. 

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Haven't seen any around for a while.

Mine are 120cm + now. Almost full size. Very gentle natured placid fish that arent territorial and don't eat smaller fish so great for a peaceful big tank  They don't spook when big enough to gain confidence,  especially in groups. Very flighty in glass tanks too small though.

I have an albino one bought blind unknowingly but she hand feeds easily. I slap the water to call her over. Tickle her chin and she opens her mouth wide to gulp down pellets and peas. 

These are not to be confused with paroon / sangwongesi which have a high pointy dorsal fin, very predatory and reach 3m size. I've seen some paroons overseas in public aquarium close up. A 3m fish is very intimidating.

Edited by fishdance
  • Like 1