My Peppermint Bn thread

Teamsherman

I thought I would start a separate thread for all my future questions, photos and updates instead of having a few different threads around the forum.

As of this morning my fry are healthy and big enough 2-3cm to be moved to their very own grow out 3' tank. There are about 80 or so there.

I finally moved them from the main tank because tending to them twice daily was disturbing the adults and probably the reason why it's been sooooo long since their last spawn (4 months) so now I can just leave them alone for a few weeks but leave a tiny gap in the covering so I can atleast make sure the water is clear each day.

Also, I have three fry which are all huge in comparison to their other siblings, like a good cm+. They are definitely the alpha dogs in the lot.

Peppermint bristlenose... Both hybridised?

Shoot some picks sound very interesting!

Here is a pic I was lucky to get showing one of the Alpha Dogs next to the normal size in the bunch.

882040A4-E5A1-452B-BABC-F6C56DFE6AFC_zps

They are beautiful little fish. Their dots are almost like little LED's!

I've done a bit of musical tanks and have put a trio 1m2f into a three footed and keep 6 others 3m3f in the four footer as I think having 9 adults in the four footer was too crowdy hence them not spawning for just over 3 months since the last two spawns. I'm now hoping the males can spread out into the various caves at each ends of the tank.

Hopefully within a fortnight I'll have more eggs!

It might be weird question to asked. Thinking one day I will get some Peppermint bristlenose. My question is related to white color at the end of tail fin. I have found some of Peppermint bristlenose have no white color line. What is the difference? Thanks

It might be weird question to asked. Thinking one day I will get some Peppermint bristlenose. My question is related to white color at the end of tail fin. I have found some of Peppermint bristlenose have no white color line. What is the difference? Thanks

The white tails are only temporary, they seem to lose the white tips as they grow!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still yet to have another batch of eggs! The last batch was in June and I've tried everything since like water changes at the start of some big thunderstorms, feeding regimes of different foods, water temp changes ect ect.

The other batches were laid while I was away for a week on holiday and the fact that they are in my garage that has an automatic door I think is why they might not be breeding. I usually open and close the door once a day and seeing as I have the babies in a grow out tank in there I have to tend to them daily so there is no way of getting in without opening the door.

I may move all the babie inside the house then I should be able to not go in the garage for a week where I'm working most weekdays to see if it is in fact them being disturbed that's preventing them from breeding.

In the grow out tank I have a pair and the female has a nice plump belly so I'm hoping she is gravid with eggs and can get them fertilised if the make is up to it.

And gee wiz these babies take ages to grow! Most have gotten to 2.5cm and seem to have stopped there! I have about three though that are nearly 4cm!

Anyway, I'll try to minimise traffic in the garage to see if they can spawn again.

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo!

One of my males is on eggs again!!!

I'm guessing they spawned overnight or Sunday night.

I knew it wouldn't be long as he's been craving for a week and some times I would see him facing out as opposed to tail out. And the last few days that I've fed them he's stayed in the cave!!

They haven't spawned since July and after doing some more reading I fed them some carnivore sinking pellets which they love and I'm guessing the higher protein amounts gave building blocks for egg development and subsequently this spawn.

Now to make up my mind as to if I let them just free swim throughout the tank or raise them in a separate container like I did my last ones????

I used to raise mine in a large fry saver til they get a tad bigger.

I found it much easier to feed them (and for them to find food) when I did it this way. Have you got any red cherry shrimps or the like?

What I used to do was put 2 of the shrimps in the same fry saver so they helped clean up left over food.

I used to raise mine in a large fry saver til they get a tad bigger.

I found it much easier to feed them (and for them to find food) when I did it this way. Have you got any red cherry shrimps or the like?

What I used to do was put 2 of the shrimps in the same fry saver so they helped clean up left over food.

Yeah that's why I use a fry saver so I can monitor their feeding and waste habits. I'll look at getting some cherry shrimp to put in with them once they are hatched.

And btw, I had a sneak peek at the eggs and it's a massive amount. Id say bigger that my last which was over 80 fry!!

• 1 month later...

The little ones above are growing well and I found a male on eggs again today!!

I've been doing nothing but feeding the adults daily and haven't touched the tank in weeks so the old set and forget method really does work!

Had a better look today when moving the cave into the saver and it looks like it's only about 50 or so eggs which is smaller than all the previous clutches but I think it's most likely from one of the smaller females. Hopefully I don't lose too many in the first week or two after they hatch.

The new batch are all starting to separate and hatch. I found two little ones outside the cave in the saver and thought they might be dead so sucked them up in my turkey baster and on closer inspection they are both good and wriggling their little tails. I've got pretty good water movement and an air stone in there so I don't need to worry about getting them back in to dad.

• 2 weeks later...

All the newest fry are doing well so far! I've only had three fatalities out of this batch which is much less compared to the previous one. I think these guys might be from a different female to the last but it's the same male every time. 

I'm hoping now it will be a regular thing finding eggs. 

The only things ive changed is I'm not changing water or cleaning the filter anywhere near as much as I was at first and I'm feeding them the Hikari Carnivore sinking pellets at about one pellet per fish every morning and they are now on schedule cause as soon as I remove the lid to feed the fry the adults all come out ready for their breakfast!

The increased protein gives them more sustanence to produce eggs and strong fry but after this week I think I will rest their tummies with just fresh greens for a few weeks. 

Archived