Peppermint ratios?

Teamsherman

Hi guys,

Currently I have 8 adults (3 males 5 females) in a three foot tank with enough caves for each male and one spare cave.

Is this ok or should I section the tank off to have one male in each section and move the smallest male to a different tank for him to grow up a bit?

I have a new spare 4 foot tank and accessories to use if that would improve things for the ratios? I'd rather keep them all together to increase chances of successful breeding but I don't want to be losing eggs by having too much rivalry between males.

Cheers,

TS.

3 males and 5 females is a perfect combo. If your dominant male is a stud then he should be the man and the others are back up males.

If your tank is 4 foot then there is plenty of room for 2 dominent males

You seem like you are fussing over them...let them relax, find their spots and see what happens. I normally react to negatives in aquariums and they are usually fairly obvious.

3 males and 5 females is a perfect combo. If your dominant male is a stud then he should be the man and the others are back up males.

If your tank is 4 foot then there is plenty of room for 2 dominent males

You seem like you are fussing over them...let them relax, find their spots and see what happens. I normally react to negatives in aquariums and they are usually fairly obvious.

LoL!

I think I am fussing hey!! I'm new to these guys and have wanted to breed them for years so do admit I'm a nervous owner at the moment!!

I think I'll just keep their water clean and their bellies full and let them do what they want.

I've got a few bits of driftwood in there at the moment that most of the girls hide under or scurry around on and there are three breeding caves in there now, one for each male.

I did a water change just two days ago as the barometer dropped coming into the little bit of rain and cloud that's come over Sydney and that night the females were all hanging around the males caves and trying to barge in so I'm hoping that there may well be a male or two on eggs at the moment.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I had my second lot of eggs that were kicked out of he cave again as the first lot were and with all the intervention trying to eliminate the dreaded egg fungus I could only end up saving three of them but they are now sitting in the tumbler gaining size and pigment every day. Here is a pic from yesterday, but even overnight they have gained even more colour and are quickly becoming recognisable little Peppermints! I'm glad I could atleast save three of them as that's better than none and they will live out their lives till they are too big in my little lounge room display tank.

Baby%20Peppermints_zps6xu6dun6.jpg

• 3 months later...

Today after moving two caves down the more empty end of my setup I checked back in a few hours later and two out of three caves had females hanging around and two males were in each cave with their heads poking out and not their tales so hopefully in the next day or two I may have more eggs and eventually fry to add to the 80 or so I currently am growing out.

I'll check tomorrow and see if the males are still poking out.

Archived