Pep breeding help needed

gianniz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome mate, well done. Gotta love peppermints <3

If you parboil or blanch the zucchini makes it a bit easier for them to eat.

You can also score the skin with a fork by running it down the sides. Just roughens the skin so they can more easily rasp at it.

I find cucumber without the seed, and scrape a fork around on the skin, is good for plecos and babies that wont it eat it quickly.

The Adult L333 and the Adult Peppermint, are the only ones who get Zucchini - cause its gone overnight,
Or converted into a pile of white poop in the corner anyhoo..

I'll try the cucumber today with them. I'm guessing it stays in better shape than the blanched zucchini as that stuff is mush the next day and I have to be really careful getting it out so it doesn't break up in the water.

My adults get a half zucchini raw sliced lengthways down the middle without blanching and the next morning there is barely even any skin left! They are mad for it!!

Yeh, they love it, they all will like the cucumber too :) just might take a bit of force feeding.

But: like you said if zucchini stays in there overnight, it breaks down too much, that also really fouls the water, you can smell it when you do a water change, its like a foul acidic smell. I just dont like the idea of them living in that.
So, only ever enough theyll eat quick, and cucmber for the babies, is what I found helps.

Also: mine like butternut pumpkin, and sweet potato, can try that too..

I tried pumpkin but they didn't touch it so I just stick to the green stuff along with Hikari Pellets that I drop in before I go to bed as they tend to eat them overnight.

congrats on the spawn.personally in my opinion can we call them snow whites? ive noticed over the last 6-8 years theyve lost their peppermint colouring and more noticeably turning white.there were some around about 10 years ago that had awsome peppermint colouring. but i guess with more people jumping on the pep wagon they have lost their colouring due to inbreeding etc.would be nice to be able to see new ones come in.

Got any photos of any original coloured ones?

This type of colouring (in my larger fry) is the only colouring I've ever seen since starting in the hobby in '99.

These two are from the same colony of which I have 3 different bloodlines. One being from North of Newcastle.

5AC4A769-E7AE-4D9C-97BE-EA64DDDFF14E_zps

A7AE8310-7C3C-4A86-A2FA-55F7C553C331_zps

Archived