power points in a fish room...

Hey Guys and Gals...

Just another question about fish rooms... smile.gif

How many power points have people put in them and how far from the ground are they up the wall?

And did anyone use splash-proof power points?? (the ones with the clear click over covers)

Thanks in advance

CJ

power points are usually placed 30 cm from the floor on the wall .....but my suggestion is to have them hanging from the roof that way your tanks can butt up to the wall giving you more floor space cause when you get more tanks and have three a rack you will want the room. Also this will allow you to buy the cheaper power sockets cause there is no risk of splashing them with water.

I have seen power points with as many sockets as a power board this maybe a good thing to get as it will cut down on to many power boards running of one point.

as far as how many points to get, how many tanks are you going to have and are you getting any more in the near future. For my tanks i run two power boards per tank so given that one power board per outlet (so we don't have power boards on power boards running from an extension cord plug into a double adapter then the wall).

Only way to do it safely is 2 wall (or roof) sockets per tank unless you have say 2 tanks per 1 sump or something like that. Or shall we say 2 wall sockets per setup/unit.

Colin,

I have 2 4 way power points and 3 doubles (1double has the thermostat installed before it) and mine are about 1 metre off the ground. I would have peferred to have put those outdoor type ones in but they were just 2 expensive so I have normal wall points and I siliconed around the outside of the power points and I am getting those child proof point sealers to put in the unused points. I wanted more in my room but the sparky recommended that I not do based on the load of each circuit so I took his advise. I also forgot to show you on sunday that I also have a fuse box in the roof with 3 circuits in. One for the lights and then 2 separate circuits for each side of the room. I have the heater plugged into one circuit and the wter and air pump in theother. I have not run a separate circuit back to the mainboard yet but if I start having troubles with power cut outs I will.

cheers

Rosco

Colin,

I have 2 4 way power points and 3 doubles (1double has the thermostat installed before it) and mine are about 1 metre off the ground.  I would have peferred to have put those outdoor type ones in but they were just 2 expensive so I have normal wall points and I siliconed around the outside of the power points and I am getting those child proof point sealers to put in the unused points.  I wanted more in my room but the sparky recommended that I not do based on the load of each circuit so I took his advise.  I also forgot to show you on sunday that I also have a fuse box in the roof with 3 circuits in.  One for the lights and then 2 separate circuits for each side of the room.  I have the heater plugged into one circuit and the wter and air pump in theother.  I have not run a separate circuit back to the mainboard yet but if I start having troubles with power cut outs I will.

cheers

Rosco

I have been advised by my boss - who is an ex sparky - to have my room on a seperate circuit - from the main board. Luckily the main board is on the other side of the garage so the sparky should be able to run it over quite easily...

it is good idea but it was going to cost me $800+ as I had to replace the mainboard due to the age of my house. He was going to have to replace the board with a newer circuits and also put a safety switch on the fish room circuit. Unfortunately my main board is around 40-50 metres (maybe more) away from my fishroom. I will do it but who has $800 handy these days. I suppose all I need to do is sell 400 BN fry and it will be right.

cheers

Rosco

it is good idea but it was going to cost me $800+ as I had to replace the mainboard due to the age of my house. He was going to have to replace the board with a newer circuits and also put a safety switch on the fish room circuit.  Unfortunately my main board is around 40-50 metres (maybe more) away from my fishroom. I will do it but who has $800 handy these days.  I suppose all I need to do is sell 400 BN fry and it will be right.

cheers

Rosco

Sounds like the BN fry would be the easy way blush.gif

Or you could sell your body smile.gif Michelle might take you up on that thumbup.gif

Col

I have the following 4 Double power points placed 30cms off the ground and 1 double power point placed 1.2m off the ground. I use these power points to operate the sumps/air blower and two 6 foot display tanks. Like Rosco the heater operates off a separate power point and circuit. The lights are run on another circuit of which there are 15 points. These points are not conventional powerpoints that you can turn off but just sockets. The electrician explained that the normal power point would reduce the number that could run on the same circuit so this was a better option. These have been placed above each level of tanks on both racks. I have added a timer built into this circuit so that I don't have to worry about turning the lights on.

Gerard

How many power points have people put in them and how far from the ground are they up the wall?

And did anyone use splash-proof power points?? (the ones with the clear click over covers)

hi Colin,

Q: how many power points?

A: add up all the devices you can think of then add say 50%. You can never have too many and a spare socket on the other side of the room is not quite the same thing as one close enough to where you need it to be useful.

I have three banks of 4-sockets and a double-socket for ordinary power.

Plus two banks of double-sockets in the same circuit as the lights, inline with the timer.

Plus two banks of double-sockets inline with the thermostat for heating.

and.. .thought this was overkill but find I still need a few power boards.

Q: how far up the wall?

A: I have mine mounted just below the second level of my racks (around 70 cm I think) so I can reach them from the front of the tanks without too much difficulty. John Fleet has his mounted on the roof which is nice and safe but he needs a ladder to reach them.

Q: did I use splash proof power points?

A: have you seen the price on them?

No I didn't as there's no way I could justify the price. As the entire room is heated there doesn't seem to be the same sort of condensation problems that you get when heating just the tanks so I haven't had any indication that this has been a horrible mistake yet.

John did use them and advised me to but his idea of acceptable cost parameters is different to mine.

My room runs on it's own circuit with an earth leakage detector on the main board to ease my nervousness levels a bit. As they're quite cheap I'd recommend one qute strongly as a safety measure.

I would have liked to pull two extra circuits across (one for the lights which are currently on their own sub-circuit within the room with they're own circuit breaker as they use lighter wiring but share the same line in from the powerboard as the rest of the system; and one for the "normal" stuff in my garage like roller door controllers etc which also share that lien in from the powerboard) but that would have involved lots of digging and money so I made do with the existing line.

Archived