Cleaning equipment

Flycaster

Hi, I have a small 40 tank aquarium at the school that students keep fish in.

Just wondered what the best thing to use for sterilising equipment is? Is it possible to have a weak bleach solution in a bucket that nets can be put into at the end of each lesson?

Cheers

Some aquariums dip freshwater nets in saltwater, or a weak concoction of a methyl blue/multicure.
These options would kill off a lot of freshwater nasties. But not all.
If it's one tank in the classroom - cross contamination wont be much of an issue. The bigger issue might be what happens to the nets when not in the tank. (Cleaners, stupid boys playing pranks, etc)

Yeah we are lucky enough to have a variety of tanks in a specially built fish room. We run a variety of fish from tropical a to coldwater, even some crustaceans. Much as you try and check that there is no cross contamination the lads aren't always as concerned as I am. I just thought if I could have a bucket that I dipped nets in after the lesson and washed equipment in it may prevent any nasties that may occur

Salt solution is the best method. Use 50gms to each litre of water and change every couple of days. Boiling water is not feasible as it the water should be between 75-90 degrees Celsius to be effective. Alternatively use Potassium Permanganate solution at 5gms per litre.

Label the nets, colour code them or use different types to clearly identify which net belongs to which tank.

Archived