Cyathopharynx furcifer ruziba

Hi all

I just spotted some C. furcifer ruzibas down at the LFS for $40 each. I'm after some featherfins for the 8 footer but their doesn't seem to be much info around on these guys.

Has anyone here kept them? Nice colourful fish? In the photos that I have found they seem quite green with some yellow on the anal fin. Is $40 a reasonable price? How many should I get?

It's a big investment/decision, and so if someone could help then I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Richard

You can't go wrong with any of the furcifer / foai we have here. The ruziba are a lovely fish, but not as dark as other variants. If you put them in a tank that doesn't have a stark white substrate, they should show nice colour. A tank with beach sand and a dark background would suit them well. I flouro with a blue or violet type spectrum colour would make them look fantastic. Something like a powerglo would do nicely. Avoid the "cool white" or similar tubes.

As for numbers, if they are sexable, you'd be aiming for maybe 3 boys and 6-10 girls if you want to fill the 8 footer with them. If you are mixing other tangs in there, maybe 2 boys and 6 girls? One boy will likely take one end each.

Hopefully I should have either Sibwesa, Kabogo or Congo Dark foai in my tanks within a month woot.gifwoot.gifwoot.gif

Hi Richard,

Foai/furcifer are my favorite fish both behaviour and looks. However if it is colourful fish you want you need to keep in mind that the females are pretty much silver. Basically no colour at all. THat doesn't worry me as the male more than makes up for it but when you say "Nice colourful fish?" I had to let you know.

They would love an 8 footer.

As for information on them try searching this forum. There have been a few good posts about keeping feather fins.

They are also a fish that will make a liar of you. Invite your mates around to see the pretty colours and they will switch them off..lol.

Glad to hear from you FeatherFin Freaks (FFF) - I hope to join the club soon thumb.gif Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'm gonna need it to scare the moths out of the wallet blush.gif

I have got a lot of white in my tank, a mix of crushed marble and fine white sand and so maybe I should steer clear of ruziba. I have also seen C.furcifer “Blue green” Burundi available for under $40 and so I'll probably give these a go, as they will probably be a darker fish.

The Ocellatus and Julies that I dropped in last weekend are doing fine, and so I am getting braver about dropping in Featherfins and Cyps. Any advice on variety Cyps? I am tossing up b/w Kitumba Jumbos and trying to chase down some Utintas confused.gif

Cheers

Richard

Any advice on variety Cyps?  I am tossing up b/w Kitumba Jumbos and trying to chase down some Utintas  confused.gif

hi Richard

go the jumbo's mate, furcifers are not wuss's when push comes to shove.

utinta maybe a little soft

great fish though, glad to see you taking the plunge.

welcome to the club!!

cheers; Colin

I have 8 of them in a tank at home. They are quite a peaceful fish and get on well with my cyprochromis. As some of the other people have said they are a lighter colour of foai but display well with lots of girls in the tank and sand to build a mound out of.

My only word of warning is be careful about lids - I have unfortunately had 2 jump to their deaths.

If it is your first go at featherfins I think the most important things are water chemistry, good filtration and lots of air.

David

I have got a lot of white in my tank, a mix of crushed marble and fine white sand and so maybe I should steer clear of ruziba. I have also seen C.furcifer “Blue green” Burundi available for under $40 and so I'll probably give these a go, as they will probably be a darker fish.

All furcifer/foai are the same so changing variants wont help. Best thing is to either change it to beach sand or something a little darker or don't run a light. I used crush coral for 5 years till two weeks ago. I use to never use a light. The tank is now used for display and they really didn't like the light on as it was very bright in the tank with the reflection off the coral. I changed to sand and now I can have the light on no problems. thumbup.gif

I have the foai, "magara"dark....aka burundi, blue green, what ever they are called. anyways yes i agree they love to make a lyer out of you, my partner for 4 months said they were just big borry looking silver fish with big ugly fish eyes...fish eyes go figure!... then one day sitting in the cool aircon with the sun in the right spot comming in the window and he was showing off (one day prior to spawning) and i hear a owwwwww pretty from behind me... i turned around and she was fixated on this crazy lil boy going nuts trying to get the fem to follow him , fully couloured up, metalic blue body, black/blue fins with yellow edging, and a dark grey/black throat.. was quite nice to see, then is dad came put the smack down on him for steealing his nest! lol They are great fish, and although they dont allways look spectacular it is worth the wait.

They can take a hit and are not sooks , but are pretty much gentle to most other fish, even leptos and sandsifters, but they doo distract them from breeding properly.

have a darkish tank, mine is 6x2x2 with one flouro so i can see them they are used to the light. sunlight makes them look much better but. maybe have a dark grey, or blue background, on the tank this will help heaps. I use creek sand

will see if i can get a good pic soon, but a few are in my photo link in sig..

but this might do for now

here is a link to my new post in the photo forums

pics

Archived