Breeding: white eggs/infertility (jags)

i wrote an earlier post claiming fathership of newborn jags... i was wrong..sad.gif

it was pointed out as the eggs are white... they're not fertile...

but i am now wondering does anyone know why my male may not have fertilised the eggs?? it's their first batch... is this a problem?

appreciate any ideas

1. Are you sure you have a male?

2. Are you sure the male is fertile?

3. Did the male actually involve himself or did the female just spawn to relieve herself?

There could be a million scenarios. I'd give them time, a few more attempts at it, and if none of them are ever fertile, then you could always assume one of the fish is inferile (or the wrong sex?)

I just (edit:)stripped a ps aurora girl and only 2 of her 8 eggs were fertlie. It was her 1st go at it maybe she didnt get close enough to the male. anyways plenty more where that came from. I got two girls holding (big girls). it looks like each of them have a cannon ball in their mouth!

edit: srtipped NOT milked - stripped

Its like the old saying " you cant pregnant the first time" smile.gif give them a few spawns to get it right. I know fish do have fry at their first attempt, But thats more buy luck then anything else IMHO. I'm with ducksta

again with ducksta on this. its too hard a question to really answer without you having seens the spawn and knowing more details. often even once eggs are fetilised they can go bad without any apparent reason.

thanks for the ideas.... no hurry anyway..smile.gif

i am sure they are male and female because he has a much more detailed pattern over his whole body with a blueish tinge through his finnage... plus he beats the hell out of my devil every time he comes within range (the nest they have established is where my devil used to reside) and yet he plays with the female jag (i've heard two male jags won't tolerate each other)

thanks again thumb.gif

Hi Guys -

The male might not be sexually mature wink.gif? As others have said?? Hard to say? Are the two fish related? Might be wise to consider outsourcing a unrelated male anyway wink.gif.

"you cant pregnant the first time"

Little Swimmer - I have a good friend who'd be happy to debate you on this and she has proof!! LOL!

dont write them off yet veija i had a pair of jags a few years ago the male was over 12 inches the female was about 10 inches thier first spawn was successful yet thier second time failed.i gave them to st george and they kept them at thier store out the back and i know they bred at least ten times there producing thousands of fry.

Archived