Gulping air when feeding?

jaymes007

Hello All,

just a quick question(s) ....... i have been doing a fair bit of reading about how others setup their fishrooms. An interesting idea that i saw was, one hobbyist has drilled holes in his lids and secured plastic funnels to the inlet. His theory behind this is, the food goes straight into the water and reduces the ability for the fish to "gulp" air when feeding?

My question(s) is/are..... is it bad for a fish to do this? (ie gulp air when feeding?) What sort of side-effects would this cause?

Is there any advantages of feeding this way?

Is this a stupid question? :lol3:

thanks

Jaymes

:cryblow::cryblow: good onya mate. :lol3::lol3:

i did think that but........ i wasnt sure. I lost my adult female cichla the other day (t'was a very sad day) and it got me thinking. They always hit the surface when they feed and she did seem to have trouble with her swim bladder.

Maybe i should post the link to what i was reading. http://www.tedsfishroom.com/fleckenstein.html

third pic down, i got this link from a post on the cichlid room companion.

i did think that but........ i wasnt sure. I lost my adult female cichla the other day (t'was a very sad day) and it got me thinking. They always hit the surface when they feed and she did seem to have trouble with her swim bladder.

A mate of recently lost his Polystigma.

We believe it was because of his fondess to blood worm.

He gulped a massive chunk of worms and didnt last to long after that.

Has anyone got any tips on stopping the feeding frezy at dinner time.

They just go MENTAL for the food.

I have heard of frontosa breeders loosing fish due to gulping air. The first symtoms is bloated stomach and floating on one side or upside down. I havent had any problems with my malawis, and my tangs dont hit the surface.

g day jaymes,

sorry to hear about the bass mate.....i know how much you loved them,,

ive treated fish with swollen swim bladders by stabbing the swollen area with a hobby knife or scalpel......sounds crude i know but it works......it releives all the pressure and the fish can return to the bottom and gets some rest........ive done this several times ...the last time was a large silver dollar and it healed within about 12 hours and 2 days later, you couldnt even see the puncture mark.........

as for the guy whos fish swallowed all the bloodworms, they probably had an extreme "ice cream" headache :lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3: sorry! :)

• 7 years later...

My Electric yellow has trouble with this. He'll pick food off the surface with a gulp of air and spend the next minute or two trying to dislodge the air from his gills and is not able to take more food until he does. Looks very uncomfortable.

For this reason, when I give flakes I always release them a few inches under the water. There's plenty to grab without air but for some reason he'll still pick off the surface and cause himself discomfort.

Maybe I should give up on flakes. Are flakes really for cichlids anyway? I feed them pellets too.

Maybe I should give up on flakes. Are flakes really for cichlids anyway? I feed them pellets too.

Nice necro :blink

The way I treat foods types is..

For Carnivorous and omnivorous fish that require a high protein diet I normally stick with pellets or home made food. Flake is generally not filling enough for these types of fish imo.

Flake I'll normally reserve for more herbivorous type fish. Feeding flake the way you do is a good idea to prevent the air issue. Usually when I feed my fish flake I have a cup by the tank, pop some flake in the cup along with some tank water to pre soak it, swirl and just throw it in.

Archived