Diving Lake Malawi

GTR73

Steve, Ben and myself from up here are going to dive Malawi and Tanganyika in a few years. Between now and then, we'll be doing a lot of research to do the best dives at both lakes and still fit in the obligatory safari etc.

bigsmile.gifbigsmile.gifbigsmile.gif

Anyone interested in diving both Lake Tanganyika and Lake Malawi. I may be able to put you in contact with honest and reputable people in Africa that conduct these types of tours. So if interested let me know and I will pass on the contact details.

Hey Andy - keep me in mind if you ever need someone to make up the numbers. Apart from catching bilharzia - I am dead keen to head over there and do some dives with my underwater camera.

Willy, we'll definitely ask "fishy friends" who we know well if they want to come along. I guess around 5 or 6 people would be a good number to make it a bit cheaper, but still be able to travel together easily (all fit on a small boat etc).

I'll chalk you in as an interested party. It won't hurt to have a few big guys on the crew when the Congo militia come to see what we are doing LOL.gif

Also, how cool would it be to have a squiz at the lakeside holding tanks of recently caught fish (and possibly choose the fish we want to get imported by Nigel)? woot.gif

• 8 years later...

Old topic, but has anyone dived there recently (past year or so)? I'm going to be on the lake at the end of the year and will be going diving around the lake for 5 days

Was wondering on others experience re schistosomiasis/balharzia.

Yes last year - Schisto is apparently more prevalent around the national park area of Chembe beach. Watch the shoreline where snails congregate mid morning. Snails are the vector for transmission to humans. Just jump from the boat to the shore to keep dry. We got wet, no probs with infections after two weeks dive safari at many locations around the southern half. Get a blood test 12 weeks after return since can take this long for any worms to show up. Prazi to bomb if you happen to be unlucky.

Archived