High density styrofoam

YAL05T

Ladies and gents,

Seeking some advice, I am about to help a mate set up his 1500L tank.

He has concerns as it has HD foam underneath, he isn't sure if he should go buy new foam or stick with what's there. Ther HD stuff was under it when he bought the tank, but it's not had water in it with this foam

in place.

What's the general consensus? Standard or HD?

Regards,

Brett.

It should still compress more in areas off uneven pressure on tank base.

Water is very heavy, especially a 1500 liter tank.

The foam will be fine and behave like common foam.

I've used it before on a 6x2x2,,,,, it was light blue and come from a commercial site used as packers for large glass panels on buildings.

And no problem.

Personally I'd have a ? mark on using High density foam as a base. I've built boats for the past 25 years and have used many different types of high density materials. Generally the higher density of the foam obviously the less give in the foam. Half the point of high density foam is to provide a stiff ridged base to what your working with. High density foam also can be very brittle and be suseptable to damaging easily.

Your mates setting up a 1500 liter tank is is worried about spending 20 bucks on regular foam? High density will probably work but why play with such an important part of the setup for such little money?

Just my opinion.

He is not worried about cost. That was never even mentioned as an issue. It was a question of suitability.

For the record we got a hold of a few mates and lifted the tank (22mm bases sure add some weight) and had his better half slide in some new 25mm styro in a less high density format.

Brett you are a multi talented man :lol1:

Cheers Chris, and you will get to see my poo eating grin again early January when I come along to get some stock for this project.

Regards,

Brett.

I hear you Brett

:unsure AHHHHHHH not a mixed tank :wallbash: don't you know :rules: you can't mix fish

:rant: damn those fish for not reading the same information :rant:

:lol5::lol5:

if the water is similar and it works why the #@(% not :dntknw:

Amen brother!

If they were wild caught I might consider it in a different light, considering how many generations removed from the lakes his fish are likely to be it's going to happen.

Archived