Pseudotropheus Sp. Makola Reef

simy696

Labeotropheus have the nose which is possibly the over bit you mention

Pseudotropheus have a rounded head

Tropheops have a squared off blunt head

if the female are not OB then they are not Tropheops makokola

I would think as this is a specific trait of the species

Pseudotropheus Sp. Makokola Reef is the spelling they have on tank today bought two more girls and they kindly gave me one in exchange for 4 unwanted fish I handed in.

apparently the site I looked at a year ago where the tropheus variant but any ways all good now.

p.s. still not a lot of info about this variety on line though interesting.

as far as I know the only Psuedotropheus species is Greshaki (Red top Cobalt) that comes from Makokola

and I don't have a copy of Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat by Ad konings to refer to

can you get some clear pics together males and females and I will email Ad for his opinion on this

The photo is a Maylandia greshakei. It was know as Pseudotropheus greshakei back in the 1980s

They are endemic to the Makokola area of the lake. I suspect that the LFS has combined all these parts and ended up with a description that are accurate in parts. The photo sealed the ID we just need to confirm that yours are the same but at least you know what to look for now.

tys yeah that helps. myne is pretty brown in tank at moment so pic may not help basically as pic above. got some big hongis to deal with tryin to blend in i guess.

• 1 month later...

just like to add male has taken up his roll in the tank and coloured up nicely Metriaclima greshakei is what he is looking like white with the yellow top fins pretty cool looking guy actually think common name is ice blue. p.s. been looking in cichlid forum again so name may not be correct also but that pic there is identical to myne.

Archived